Toronto The Gloucester on Yonge | 147.82m | 44s | Concord Adex | a—A

It's photos like this that hammer home how Canadians just don't get how to design an appealing public realm. Look at the ugly mess on the right sidewalk. Every square inch of it makes my head shake. Yellow fire hydrant smack dab in the middle of a sidewalk, primitive paving, ugly wonky bike path pilons, that orange/black striped pilon has probably sat there for 6 months, 2-3 types of crap paving, overhead wiring, ugly lamp post, ugly traffic lamp and post, even the curb looks bad. Top it off with an ugly building next to it and it never had a hope in hell of being attractive.

I'm continually astonished how we're so bad at this. We have no clue how to do public realm.

Last edited:
Montreal is in Canada, though.
Montreal has a few standout public spaces, mostly by Claude Cormier, but its "baseline" public realm is far below that of Toronto's if you ask me. Sidewalks are generally older, more worn, less flourishes, streets typically have fewer trees, etc.

Most of Montreal's public realm is actually quite spartan. Toronto's is much better for its baseline. I think some of that has to do with climate mind you, as Montreal is so much colder which makes certain plant life more challenging to encourage, but still.

Montreal has a few standout public spaces, mostly by Claude Cormier, but its "baseline" public realm is far below that of Toronto's if you ask me. Sidewalks are generally older, more worn, less flourishes, streets typically have fewer trees, etc.

Most of Montreal's public realm is actually quite spartan. Toronto's is much better for its baseline. I think some of that has to do with climate mind you, as Montreal is so much colder which makes certain plant life more challenging to encourage, but still.
Completely disagree.

Montreal has public space that puts Toronto's to utter shame. I don't buy that it matters who the space was designed by, as long as the city is choosing to undertake the work. I can think of a number of well-executed squares and plazas off the top of my head: Prince Arthur's pedestrian street, Place des Arts, McGill College, Saint Catherine Street revitalization, Dominion Square, Cabot Square and the list goes on.

Also, their most rudimentary streetscape improvements include curb extensions, paving and planting. It's enough that they bury their utilities (no overhead wires or wooden poles).

Toronto has been experiencing improvements in its quality of public space but it's still a long ways away. Bercy and Queen's Park are a nice start and there are some exciting projects in the works.

Completely disagree.

Montreal has public space that puts Toronto's to utter shame. I don't buy that it matters who the space was designed by, as long as the city is choosing to undertake the work. I can think of a number of well-executed squares and plazas off the top of my head: Prince Arthur's pedestrian street, Place des Arts, McGill College, Saint Catherine Street revitalization, Dominion Square, Cabot Square and the list goes on.

Also, their most rudimentary streetscape improvements include curb extensions, paving and planting. It's enough that they bury their utilities (no overhead wires or wooden poles).

Toronto has been experiencing improvements in its quality of public space but it's still a long ways away. Bercy and Queen's Park are a nice start and there are some exciting projects in the works.

Those are the key spaces I referenced. My point was more so if I looked at some random residential street in Montreal and compared it to Toronto, I think Toronto would come out ahead.

3965 Avenue de l'Hôtel-de-Ville - Google Maps

Vs.

308 Ontario St - Google Maps

or commercial streets:

4467 Saint Denis St - Google Maps

vs.

724 Queen St E - Google Maps

Just random samples sure, but Montreal's "Base" is worn sidewalks, spotty tree coverage, terrible to non existent street furniture. Toronto has more consistent tree coverage, uses pavers on most commercial streets in the sidewalks, which are generally in better condition, and accents it with planters more often.

Montreal sure has it's signature spaces, which I admitted are better, but those are exactly that, signature spaces. Toronto has lots of that too, especially over the last few years as more have been built. For every Saint Catherine Street there is a Queens Quay in Toronto, every Dorchester Square, a Berczy Park, etc.

Don't get me wrong, Montreal is an awesome city, we just don't need to play it up to be more than it is.

Those are the key spaces I referenced. My point was more so if I looked at some random residential street in Montreal and compared it to Toronto, I think Toronto would come out ahead.

3965 Avenue de l'Hôtel-de-Ville - Google Maps

Vs.

308 Ontario St - Google Maps
That's a case of apples and oranges. The Montreal street is much narrower and older - from the 1910's or possibly before. There's just very little room to plant trees. But still, here's what they managed to do one block north.

Here are some examples from 4 different Montreal neighbourhoods that are more comparable to your Toronto example in terms of distances between the facades on each side of the street :

7542 avenue de Gaspé (in Villeray)
4648 rue Marquette (in Plateau Mont-Royal)
361 rue Gordon (in Verdun)
4066 rue Harvard (in Notre-Dame-de-Grâce)

Montreal has hundreds of kilometers of streets that look like these.

Last edited:
Today.
0659E4C8-4012-445F-B078-4AC902C35497.jpeg
A99797FE-CF40-4D36-8F00-93AF8D6B0FAB.jpeg

Montreal is in Canada, though.

You have selective vision if you're suggesting that Montreal's public realm is noticeably better. Montreal is improving just like other Canadian cities but practically every city in this country has a LONG way to go.

Last edited:
I really appreciate all the members photos and their high quality. Benito's first photo is beautifully subtile with infinite shades of white to grey peppered with blue hues. Likewise variety with Project End's photo depicting golden basked sunlight on an otherwise grey and unremarkable urban landscape. Thanks for the great pics.

Going to market:

Concord Adex to Bring Prime Yonge St. Gloucester on Yonge Development to Market this Winter​

News provided by
Concord Pacific
Feb 08, 2021, 15:08 ET

A RARE DIRECT UNDERGROUND CONNECTION TO THE WELLESLEY TTC TRAIN STATION & THE FIRST TOWER IN THE COUNTRY TO BENEFIT FROM CONCORD'S NEW BIOSPACE SYSTEMS

TORONTO, Feb. 8, 2021 /CNW/ - Canada's largest urban community builder will bring the Gloucester on Yonge to the market this winter. The newly acquired Gloucester on Yonge will not only offer a unique opportunity in its central location and amenity mix, it will also benefit from a host of timely enhancements from Concord including being the first tower in the country to benefit from Concord's BioSpace virus and bacteria mitigation systems, package delivery room addition as well as a host of design and tech updates. The luxury condo development will also be a welcomed infusion of product in a high demand Toronto market.

Gloucester on Yonge is located just south of Bloor in one of Toronto's most sought-after downtown neighbourhoods and is not just close but "directly connected" to the TTC network at the Wellesley Subway Station. "The development is in a super prime location. Not many Torontonians will be able to boast a direct subway connection directly to their homes. It's a mere elevator ride to your secured access corridor and you are on the platform" said Isaac Chan, Concord Adex Vice-President of Sales and Marketing. It also represents a high walking score, located just steps from City's finest dining, culture and shopping in Yorkville and minutes away from Toronto's financial district and top Canadian Universities including, the University of Toronto and Ryerson University.

Concord further enhanced the Gloucester on Yonge with "timely" enhancements focused on our new reality and a better future. To handle the already high demand for home deliveries, a dedicated package delivery room was added. Common space Wi-Fi coverage was greatly enhanced and most importantly Concord's BioSpace systems with enhanced air filtration and a touchless journey for residents from the curb to suite entry door. This system even includes mobile eCall to summon elevators as well as hepa filtration for the development's most fixed and vulnerable spaces. The development will also benefit from a new cohesive design throughout the building and to the street front.

"The Gloucester development's continued momentum and stable future was secured with a significant investment of funding and intellectual capital from Concord over the past year," explained Terry Hui, Concord Pacific Group President and CEO. "The project was originally developed by Cresford Developments and went into receivership spring 2020. Concord restructured the project though a CCAA plan of arrangement that received overwhelming support from all the creditors that includes the original purchasers who bought condominiums from Cresford.

Gloucester on Yonge is set to hit the Toronto market with sales in the next month. Concord will be using proprietary online and in-person systems to provide enhanced building context and to safely guide clients through their purchase experience during Toronto's strict Covid-19 protocols.

For more information and priority registration information visit www.thegloucesteronyonge.com

Going to market:

Concord Adex to Bring Prime Yonge St. Gloucester on Yonge Development to Market this Winter​

News provided by
Concord Pacific
Feb 08, 2021, 15:08 ET

A RARE DIRECT UNDERGROUND CONNECTION TO THE WELLESLEY TTC TRAIN STATION & THE FIRST TOWER IN THE COUNTRY TO BENEFIT FROM CONCORD'S NEW BIOSPACE SYSTEMS

TORONTO, Feb. 8, 2021 /CNW/ - Canada's largest urban community builder will bring the Gloucester on Yonge to the market this winter. The newly acquired Gloucester on Yonge will not only offer a unique opportunity in its central location and amenity mix, it will also benefit from a host of timely enhancements from Concord including being the first tower in the country to benefit from Concord's BioSpace virus and bacteria mitigation systems, package delivery room addition as well as a host of design and tech updates. The luxury condo development will also be a welcomed infusion of product in a high demand Toronto market.

Gloucester on Yonge is located just south of Bloor in one of Toronto's most sought-after downtown neighbourhoods and is not just close but "directly connected" to the TTC network at the Wellesley Subway Station. "The development is in a super prime location. Not many Torontonians will be able to boast a direct subway connection directly to their homes. It's a mere elevator ride to your secured access corridor and you are on the platform" said Isaac Chan, Concord Adex Vice-President of Sales and Marketing. It also represents a high walking score, located just steps from City's finest dining, culture and shopping in Yorkville and minutes away from Toronto's financial district and top Canadian Universities including, the University of Toronto and Ryerson University.

Concord further enhanced the Gloucester on Yonge with "timely" enhancements focused on our new reality and a better future. To handle the already high demand for home deliveries, a dedicated package delivery room was added. Common space Wi-Fi coverage was greatly enhanced and most importantly Concord's BioSpace systems with enhanced air filtration and a touchless journey for residents from the curb to suite entry door. This system even includes mobile eCall to summon elevators as well as hepa filtration for the development's most fixed and vulnerable spaces. The development will also benefit from a new cohesive design throughout the building and to the street front.

"The Gloucester development's continued momentum and stable future was secured with a significant investment of funding and intellectual capital from Concord over the past year," explained Terry Hui, Concord Pacific Group President and CEO. "The project was originally developed by Cresford Developments and went into receivership spring 2020. Concord restructured the project though a CCAA plan of arrangement that received overwhelming support from all the creditors that includes the original purchasers who bought condominiums from Cresford.

Gloucester on Yonge is set to hit the Toronto market with sales in the next month. Concord will be using proprietary online and in-person systems to provide enhanced building context and to safely guide clients through their purchase experience during Toronto's strict Covid-19 protocols.

For more information and priority registration information visit www.thegloucesteronyonge.com
Concord stop lying to yourself, potential buyers, and everyone else in this city. We all know that you didnt "enhance" jack. If anything actually, you probably degraded this development with "timely" reductions in quality in the interior suites. It was far too late to wreak havoc to the exterior of the building envelop, so you saved the value engineering to the interior exclusively.

Back