IMG_6667.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6665.JPG
    IMG_6665.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 1,046
  • IMG_6667.JPG
    IMG_6667.JPG
    345.4 KB · Views: 1,034
Looks like they're going to continue them across the facade as well! Excellent detailing on an already exemplar building!

August 23, 2016:

More shots of the fins on the north (King Street) elevation.

As someone who passes by this building virtually every day, I have to say I was taken aback by the fins on the King Street facade - in a negative way. I think the fins are too overwhelming, and distract and detract from the otherwise clean lines and reflective quality of the building. They represent a stark contrast to the upper floors, and when observed from a very oblique angle (as in the last photo below), they look awful and contaminate the perfectly clean look to the lower portion of the building. If the fins were limited to a small section at the right edge of the King, Berkeley and Front Street facades, then I believe that would add some visual interest, but to wrap the entire podium on all four sides with tightly spaced vertical fins is overkill and completely unnecessary. I just feel these off coloured vertical elements have introduced even more complexity to what was already a somewhat complex, but elegantly designed building with staggered floors and two tone reflective glazing. I really should wait to see the finished result before commenting in this fashion, but my first impression was of disappointment.

I think since the fins are brown it is meant to make a connection to the old brick Sun building (now George Brown) beside it.

I don't mind the fins.

Hoist is starting to come down. Not much longer before completion.

IMG_1667.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1667.JPG
    IMG_1667.JPG
    274.6 KB · Views: 514

Back