Toronto The Clair | 128.01m | 34s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Wow, 42 storeys for Yonge + St.Clair :)

1421 YONGE ST
Ward 22 - Tor & E.York District

Proposal for a 42 storey mixed-use building with 420 residential units and commericial space on the 1st and 3rd floor and 4 levels of underground parking
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
OPA & Rezoning 14 268423 STE 22 OZ Dec 30, 2014 Under Review

Judging by Google maps looks like the closest would be around 18-20 stories. Considering it's St Claire there are far too many 2-5 story buildings...I;m looking forward to progress like this!

Not sure I like this, I love the feel of Yonge south of St. Clair, I agree the 1->3 story purely retail buildings can be redeveloped but further south there are a lot of 5-10 story office / residential buildings, it has a really nice built form ..

I've always thought this intersection could be more special. Would like to see more density here.

Really ? I always found it a very urban intersection as is, honestly one of the most urban intersections outside of the core, with office buildings of different styles fronting it .. I mean I agree maybe the building in question, just south of the office building at the S/E corner, I wouldn't mind seeing a larger condo there ... but not anywhere more south ..

Really ? I always found it a very urban intersection as is, honestly one of the most urban intersections outside of the core, with office buildings of different styles fronting it .. I mean I agree maybe the building in question, just south of the office building at the S/E corner, I wouldn't mind seeing a larger condo there ... but not anywhere more south ..

Yes, I really like the way this intersection is a cool node on Yonge. There already seems to be a good level of density here. If you go north, south, west, it's very nicely scaled.

will they be taking down the office building on the north-east corner of the intersection for this one? the first building after the one on the corner is 1491 yonge, and I doubt they can fit a 42 floor building over the small podium between the tower and the neighboring building.

You mean the south-east corner? There's an entrance to the TTC station in the basement there

According to google maps, it's a couple of building lots south of the Scotiabank building. So, no.

will they be taking down the office building on the north-east corner of the intersection for this one? the first building after the one on the corner is 1491 yonge, and I doubt they can fit a 42 floor building over the small podium between the tower and the neighboring building.

Toronto - longest, thinnest downtown in the world...

Yes, you don't see a lot of cities with concentrated streets of retail/animation like Yonge Street, Bloor/Danforth and Queen Street that go on for miles and miles. It seems to be unique to Canadian cities like Ste. Catherine Street in Montreal but even there, it's not nearly as long as Toronto's retail streets. Well now that I think about it, maybe it's a European thing because both Paris and London have those long retail streets.

Last edited:

Back