Toronto The Britt Condos | 142.03m | 41s | Lanterra | Arcadis

Pictures from yesterday:
DSC_0224_PC.jpg
DSC_0226_PC.jpg
DSC_0228.JPG
DSC_0508_PC.jpg

I seem to one of few forumers who like this project
It's not great but would definitely exchange with several garbage at the waterfront right now

I find it hard to understand how so many people are excusing this mess. It looks absolutely horrendous to me; I'm not sure there is a single building in this city that I dislike more than this one, nevermind any currently under construction. The only redeeming qualities I can think of: the podium, which is surprisingly nice, and the fact that they painted the undersides of the balconies.

I seem to one of few forumers who like this project
It's not great but would definitely exchange with several garbage at the waterfront right now

What on earth? Which building on the waterfront would you possibly want replaced by this PoS?

Above the podium, this crap is tantamount to 365 Church/Y+C/DesignHaus, et al -- the worst dreck that's gone up in the boom. I too am disappointed by the overall quality of contemporary architecture on the waterfront between the Parliament slip and Yonge, but they're all better than this thing.

Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 4.21.01 PM.png

...and Minto Yorkville Park. That turd's just as bad as this one and chases after the same demographic; the well-heeled with no taste.

Had Lanterra handled this as RioCan handled their new rental tower at Yonge-Sheppard Centre, it would've turned out fine but, alas, they prioritized bigger profit margins over decent window-wall.

Last edited:
...and Minto Yorkville Park. That turd's just as bad as this one and chases after the same demographic; the well-heeled with no taste.

Had Lanterra handled this as RioCan handled their new rental tower at Yonge-Sheppard Centre, it would've turned out fine but, alas, they prioritized bigger profit margins over decent window-wall.

Lanterra is CHEAP! Minto will use the same materials no matter if the project is mid rate or luxury. Minto Yorkville is shameful work.

Absolute unmitigated crap-pile.

And it used to be a very reputable Toronto brutalist hotel. Remember the Sutton Place?! It feels so long ago already ?

Absolutely horrendous. Architectural standards in Toronto have declined dramatically in the last two decades alone.

Absolutely horrendous. Architectural standards in Toronto have declined dramatically in the last two decades alone.
You're being kind; widely speaking Toronto doesn't have any architectural standards beyond your typical grey/green/blue spandrel laced, window walled garbage. Only a very select few developers and architects choose to exceed these "standards".

You're being kind; widely speaking Toronto doesn't have any architectural standards beyond your typical grey/green/blue spandrel laced, window walled garbage. Only a very select few developers and architects choose to exceed these "standards".

For all their typical-Toronto blandness, at least the residential projects we built prior to ~ the new millennium had a modicum of decency and dignity, with their solid walls and sharp lines. The grey spandrel-wrapped junk we're putting up today was simply not a thing back then. To be clear, my standards for architecture are already as low as they get. And somehow projects like this and YC still fall short of them.

Then:

1590542621038.png

Now:

1590542706151.png

Last edited:

Back