Toronto Telus House - 25 York Street | 136.24m | 30s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

Re: Telus announces new office tower in downtown Toronto

I may be raining on the parade here, but I don't really like this building at all. As has been said by some it appears squat, glassy and suburban. To me this doesn't set a good precedent for development south of Union and it blocks more interesting looking buildings to the north. I am happy that an office building is going up, especially one that is not a bank. This is great news. I'm not happywith the design or the architecture, however. In Markham this would be great, but not in the downtown core, adjacent to the waterfront!

I may be raining on the parade here, but I don't really like this building at all. As has been said by some it appears squat, glassy and suburban.

It looks a little more sophisticated than a generic suburban office tower. I like it a lot better than the Maple Leaf Square towers.

Very very nice tower! Finally something sleek and high-tech for Toronto's core. We're slowly catching up to places like Frankfurt and Rotterdam with our high-rise design! I'm again praying for expensive transparent glass - please no more Maritime Life garbage in the core!

...okay, I'll admit it isn't quite Frankfurt or Rotterdam worthy... but it's still pretty good! :b

Hard to say for sure given the small renderings, but the podium concerns me - it seems to use a different design vocabulary, and feels more clunky than the rest of the building.

Hope I am wrong with this one.

AoD

And are those round concrete columns at the base?

Apparently that's Toronto's niche design specialty - round concrete columns at the bases of buildings (Pharmacy, HVE...)

Ed,

Hope not. They did mention this in the factsheet, however:

Office floors

Designed for open ceiling concept with exposed concrete
Clear vision glass from floor to approximately 10’-8†above floor

Exposed concrete ceiling? It might be a LEED thing for thermal mass, but in an office setting?!

AoD

"Clear vision glass" sounds promising.

Dan:

I would be even more comforted by a statement like: clear, low-iron vision glass.

AoD

I don't mind it, but I wish it was taller.

Add me to the "meh" bunch. It's nice to get a new office building south of Union but the design is dullsville.

i like the design ,but i think it will get other projects in that area going(ie empty lots)

The GLobe articles mentions something that I've also wondered about... "Brookfield has yet to announce construction on the BA Centre." I know we're all going gangbuster's here for that one and demolition has started, but has anyone seen an actual press release? Or did I just miss the party on that one?

Design is rather boring. Too squat in IMO. I thought this was designated parkland when MLSE announced the towers or was that a little dream?

Better then nothing but like ganjavih, add me to the Meh group. Just wish miketoronto could be here to see that not all of the downtown core is fleeing to the burbs!

Back