Toronto Telus House - 25 York Street | 136.24m | 30s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

Re: Telus announces new office tower in downtown Toronto

Not a bad looking tower plus it will be nice to see another office building south of the tracks.

It's nice to see that no-man's land between the core and harbourfront fill up.

Thanks Ed. My bad for not reading the press release!

these are the days I look forward to most, when coming to this website.

where else can you find a bunch of people excited about the announcement of an office building going up?

lovely tower, by the way. it does look a lot like the new times square building - though obviously much smaller - and that's certainly not a bad thing.

I just can't believe we're going to have 3 office towers start construction this fall. unreal.

Looks pretty good...I wonder how clear or reflective the glass will be.

"The only loser that this project will bring is probably Scarborough Centre. Two of the three Consilium Place towers have Telus signs on them (one replacing the Transamerica sign). If these go away, and when State Farm also goes away, there will be no corporate signs on any of SCC's office towers."

From the Globe: "The Vancouver-based firm plans to move staff from 15 different locations throughout the Toronto area to two sites, one in Scarborough on the east side of the city and the new building downtown."

Nicish tower, however, I don't think it has the profile necessary to occupy the front stage of our skyline. It's too bad it will cover the Royal York when viewed from the lake.

Also worthy of mention is that the location where it's being built was destined to be a public square with a grand south entrance to Union Station. This tower will now hem in the ACC and cover Union Station.

On the other hand, this in itself will create a new south entrance to Union Station, providing better access from the city to the waterfront enabling pedestrians to move beyond the tracks without going under the dark gritty tunnels now used.

Metro:

Also worthy of mention is that the location where it's being built was destined to be a public square with a grand south entrance to Union Station. This tower will now hem in the ACC and cover Union Station.

Actually, the site in question has never been intended to be a public square.

AoD

It's too bad it will cover the Royal York when viewed from the lake.

Isn't the Royal York already blocked by Waterclub and those condos west of the Harbourcastle?

Looks like a great addition.

"however, I don't think it has the profile necessary to occupy the front stage of our skyline."

Well that won't matter as much when the 50 storey MLSE towers go in across the street.

Could be interesting, but the massing is a bit slabish for my taste.

I like the fact that the tower is glassy and shiny (shiny things attract my eye), but big whoop about the design. Yawn. I'm not looking for Shanghai Pudongery, but this is just another squat boring box. If it were a taller boring box it might have more pleasing proportions. If it had some mark on its facade to break the monotony of the plane (as long as the mark was well executed) it might even have been a memorable building, heaven forbid.

Corporate Toronto developers: what a dull bunch.

I'm not sure whether I like the humungous spike on top, maybe a bit too big ;)

I'm not too thrilled with the design myself, but at least it's a little different, though it is typically Toronto boxy.

Its not stunning. Its not horrible. Just a fine looking box which adds density. Sounds fine in my books.

Back