Kitchener TEK Tower 2 | 136m | 44s | IN8 Developments | srm Architects

emphurent

Member Bio
Reaction score
While this proposal is very early in planning, it's pretty important in the future of development in the area, so I thought I'd make the thread as I make some others.

IN8's development lead stated they owned and intended to develop two more parcels beyond TEK along Charles street, and this first one is located at 24 Charles Street West (which may extend to the neighboring 26 Charles) deduced from property ownership records and soil sampling that was occurring the last few weeks. The third parcel is located somewhere at the intersection of Queen and Charles and is likely much further out. It is rumored to be likely IN8 will be aiming for 40s on all their proposals (for those curious a 50s tower from another developer is supposedly in the works as well). Counter to what many may think, this isn't actually an additional phase as it's located blocks away from the first parcel, it seems for the interim that IN8 is referring to any future Kitchener development as TEK branded, as was stated in marketing emails from earlier in the week for TEK 1.

24 Charles Street West was previously home to North (former Thalmic Labs) for a few years who unfortunately got acquired by and shut down by Google. Their glasses were pretty cool, along with their open source motion tracking bracelets which were very popular with DJ's of that decade. Google now is temporarily occupying the space as they wait for Breithaupt Phase 3 to finish, that as stated before that they are still in desperate need of more space.

The site on Google Streetview:

1649214520012.png

IN8 is actually pretty Inept at podium design on their tall building portfolio, but I hope that changes here... Their university projects are often much better at creating a pedestrian scale and separated storefronts, and this street is a candidate for that broken up treatment. The redevelopment of the bus terminal will likely animate this street a lot, meaning it needs to set a good precedent.

Concept Massing to demonstrate site, not to scale and not professional either (missing projects, I know those on this forum will have great updated ones soon):

Untitled 1.png

Last edited:
Document dump with actual architectural perspectives from the Heritage Impact assessment. Glad these are public since there won't be a need for a SPA.

The design language is similar to the other phases, just with façade retention and punched windows instead of wrap around balconies which I think looks nice here. SRM is improving their tower design abilities. Unfortunately they still are garbage at creating a comfortable and pedestrian ground realm. No retail or any grade activation.

Tower 3 can be seen in these renders, which may indicate that this is actually the last phase.

1654045970164.png
1654046061818.png
1654046187170.png
1654046077206.png

They're really going for that white swan/black swan feel to this...

Back