Toronto TeaHouse 501 Yonge Condominiums | 170.98m | 52s | Lanterra | a—A

Yonge street from Bloor south should be a three lane street with a changeable centre like Jarvis.

That's far too confusing and Jarvis had the reversible lane removed about two years ago now. Hopefully it'll stay four lanes if the Toronto Cyclist Union can get the Ministry of the Environment to rule in their favour for an environmental assessment or if Councillor Wong Tam can get Jarvis Street designated a cultural corridor and move ahead with plans to improve the streetscape.

You know there's not a ice cube's chance in hell that they will name it Blue Jean anything, right?

The project ain't named yet... and even if it was that's not stopping the residents from changine' the name of the tower if they so choose to by having a vote through their Condo Board. And... it's so possible that the ground floor could even be a Blue Jeans Museum... as a tribute... if Toronto resident supported that kinda venture... in the Public Meetings. :)

I like Levi's 501s as much as the next cat, but as a name for a condo it's terrible. It'll never happen. The marketing types won't call it that, the residents won't rename it that.

There's nothing blue jeanie about 58-storey condos. They're sleek. They're sophisticated. They're dramatic, yet still coyly underplayed if they are Clewes designs. They're refined. Precision, discipline, and regimentation are watchwords of such endeavours.

501s, conversely, are comfortable and casual and often threadbare in spots. The only condo appropriate to be marketed as a Blue Jeans condo would be a converted 200-year old cotton mill in backwoods Alabama with holes in the roof.

Macookie, maybe you stroll about in a universe where every blue jean wearing sophisticate winks at every other sophisticate passing by, and goes to blue jean socials on Saturday afternoons in the park and gathers monthly at glitzy blue jean museum fund-raising galas at the ROM or the AGO or the Board of Trade… but that sounds like an alternate universe to me Macookie, and I'm not convinced they exist.

I like Levi's 501s as much as the next cat, but as a name for a condo it's terrible. It'll never happen. The marketing types won't call it that, the residents won't rename it that.

There's nothing blue jeanie about 58-storey condos. They're sleek. They're sophisticated. They're dramatic, yet still coyly underplayed if they are Clewes designs. They're refined. Precision, discipline, and regimentation are watchwords of such endeavours.

501s, conversely, are comfortable and casual and often threadbare in spots. The only condo appropriate to be marketed as a Blue Jeans condo would be a converted 200-year old cotton mill in backwoods Alabama with holes in the roof.

Macookie, maybe you stroll about in a universe where every blue jean wearing sophisticate winks at every other sophisticate passing by, and goes to blue jean socials on Saturday afternoons in the park and gathers monthly at glitzy blue jean museum fund-raising galas at the ROM or the AGO or the Board of Trade… but that sounds like an alternate universe to me Macookie, and I'm not convinced they exist.

I'm pretty sure WiddleBittyKitty, that those marketing types connect.... or at least I would hope to think they might consider Haute Couture and faded denim as fashionable... and might choose Blue Jeans Tower. I'm sure those marketing types, who typically can afford nicer things... are aware of the latest crop of designer jeans that come in a variety of custom-made options decked with rich embellishments, from embroidery to platinum rivets to precious diamonds accents. With prices which are just as extravagant, with some pairs costing as much as a luxury car or even more upwards to what one might expect to pay for a unit in sleek tower.

But, I tend to hope WiddleBittyKitty, you could tell the difference between someone wearing $10 jeans... and someone sporting a pair worth thousands more... and I'm pretty certain that Katie Holmes ain't wearing no cheap jeans when she's shot at by paparazzi. But, what do I know... I'm a just a farmkid from Lambton County... who happens to think Blue Jeans Tower would be an excellent doable name... given that Karma is just down-across the street. And Indx... you know the 'big city' market is few subways stops away.

501 -- Blue Jeans Tower... works marketing wise and I hope that the residents find this condo... inviting, cozy, and homey.

I still think that this development should be scaled down to one larger tower (Aura, One Bloor), with a 5 storey podium of retail/commercial on Yonge street and a mixed use 10 storey (4-5s parking, 5-6s office) parking component towards the rear.

I still think that this development should be scaled down to one larger tower (Aura, One Bloor), with a 5 storey podium of retail/commercial on Yonge street and a mixed use 10 storey (4-5s parking, 5-6s office) parking component towards the rear.

Agreed.

I've got a sneaky feeling that there's only going to be 1 tower approved and it's going to be a lot shorter than 58 storeys. It's not the City's fault that the developers overpaid for the land and that the developers think that to justify their purchase price that they 'reckon' they'd have to cram a couple thousand people into 1 tiny parcel of land. St Jamestown USED to be the most densely populated postal code in all of Canada, actually, all of North America. There's no need to double that density at College/Carlton/Yonge just for fun, or as an experiment.
Will they still want to build a single 40 storey tower with a 5 storey podium ?

I've got a sneaky feeling that there's only going to be 1 tower approved and it's going to be a lot shorter than 58 storeys. It's not the City's fault that the developers overpaid for the land and that the developers think that to justify their purchase price that they 'reckon' they'd have to cram a couple thousand people into 1 tiny parcel of land. St Jamestown USED to be the most densely populated postal code in all of Canada, actually, all of North America. There's no need to double that density at College/Carlton/Yonge just for fun, or as an experiment.
Will they still want to build a single 40 storey tower with a 5 storey podium ?

I dont know about 40s, if they indeed go with one tower i dont see no reason to go shorter...lots of land here for density, im going to say 65s + podium.

From Councillor Wong Tam's office today -

Hello 501 Yonge Working Group Observers,

Please be advised that the 501 Yonge Working Group meeting scheduled for June 4, 2012 has been cancelled as the Applicant has requested more time to prepare materials in advance of the meeting.

This meeting will be rescheduled for a date in September that has yet to be confirmed. An announcement will be made over email with the rescheduled date in the coming weeks.

The next scheduled meeting of the Working Group will be July 24, 2012 from 6:00pm - 8:00pm in Meeting Room B at City Hall.

If you have further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us.

There's something happening here
What it is ain't exactly clear
There's a man with a drill over there
And you buildings better beware

501j28.jpg

Soil testers on site

Looks like this building will be built over the subway.

That's why there is the above ground parking. - I guess they won't need to go too deep on the project.

That picture scared me for a second. I would be very upset if they demolished that strip and somehow the development stalled or got cancelled. An empty lot there would be awful to look at for 10 years

Back