Toronto TeaHouse 501 Yonge Condominiums | 170.98m | 52s | Lanterra | a—A

The Wellesley on the Park glass looks great. There's a story behind that one that's not public as well...

I'd love to hear it, and I think we all have time right now! Wellesley on the park was unsuccessful due to a lack of contrast between the different levels of frit on the balcony glass. From a distance, it reads as a plain rectangle, with curve and gradient effect barely visible. The curtain wall on the ground floor looks nice, but the balcony glass isn't opaque enough to have an impact. It just looks dirty.

The Wellesley on the Park glass looks great. There's a story behind that one that's not public as well...

I should have been more clear. The balcony glass was a mistake on both projects IMO. I'm being a little nitpicky here but on this one the green just isn't the right tint. And on the other project, the glass is too transparent.

Today. Looks like the south tower has surpassed the height of the north tower.

Teahouse 5.png

Teahouse 6.png

Teahouse 7.JPG

Awful balcony glass colours.
They may have got in on sale from one of those Concord projects in Cityplace
?
Brick cladding building looks better

Awful balcony glass colours.
They may have got in on sale from one of those Concord projects in Cityplace

This is truly awful, indeed, though off the top of my head I can't think of a single building in Cityplace that has the semi-opaque, toothpaste-coloured balconies.

Not to get too OT, but I actually think Cityplace gets a little unfairly ragged on -- the neighbourhood was inadequately incomplete for years before the community centre/schools building was complete (which is the City's fault, not that of developers or architects), the urban design and traffic are horrendous (again, that's the fault of the Transportation and Planning departments from many years back), all the parkland is in a horrible state of repair (which is the City's fault and that of those who supported Rob Ford then John Tory throughout a decade of city-building austerity), and the retail tenant selection leaves something to be desired.

Aside from that, I really don't mind some of the buildings (and the few I do mind really struggle mostly because they're sprandrel-and-mullion-fests); including 150 Dan Leckie Way, which is the single most-requested building in the entire TCHC portfolio and perhaps the best looking tower in the neighbourhood.

Now, Liberty Village, on the other hand...

I really don't think it's all that bad. At first I thought they were using the same guardrails as Yonge and Rich, but those appear to be a matte acid etched/frosted with dark grey frames, whereas these look like shiny fritted glass with silver or white frames. I think the glossiness will help them appear whiter as they rise. It's a shame they didn't go with a perforated metal system like Harbour Plaza, which would have been a nice crispy flat white look.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...
Not exactly sure what your point is here (whether positive or negative) but I can tell you that LED screens like this are in no way a blemish on the environment if executed correctly. You don't want them everywhere in town obviously (and they aren't) but the corner at Sogo is one of the busiest and most unique in the city.

And related to that, if you want to look to a city that does LEDs on buildings right, it's Hong Kong. Id love to see some more of that in Toronto

This is truly awful, indeed, though off the top of my head I can't think of a single building in Cityplace that has the semi-opaque, toothpaste-coloured balconies.

Not to get too OT, but I actually think Cityplace gets a little unfairly ragged on -- the neighbourhood was inadequately incomplete for years before the community centre/schools building was complete (which is the City's fault, not that of developers or architects), the urban design and traffic are horrendous (again, that's the fault of the Transportation and Planning departments from many years back), all the parkland is in a horrible state of repair (which is the City's fault and that of those who supported Rob Ford then John Tory throughout a decade of city-building austerity), and the retail tenant selection leaves something to be desired.

Aside from that, I really don't mind some of the buildings (and the few I do mind really struggle mostly because they're sprandrel-and-mullion-fests); including 150 Dan Leckie Way, which is the single most-requested building in the entire TCHC portfolio and perhaps the best looking tower in the neighbourhood.

Now, Liberty Village, on the other hand...

Here's an example from the Queens wharf buildings, which unfortunately put CityPlace in the news again after the 3 dead shooting here :(
Same toothpaste colours

quartz-spectra-75-85-queens-wharf-rd-original-2.jpg

Back