Toronto TeaHouse 501 Yonge Condominiums | 170.98m | 52s | Lanterra | a—A

Just hoping that the designers and developers of the new condo building(s?) on this site will take their cues from the Exhibit development opposite ROM. I am not suggesting that they should imitate that building, I am saying that new development here should dare to stand out a little bit, or, maybe a lot. A fresh design would brighten up a really dull area and frankly, could turn the tide.

Granted that this is a slightly unfair stance to start with, because there is no ROM Crystal in the 'hood to dance with, but really, how about a start? Let's see a fun design, and no rehash / retooling of a design already used -- that would be the easy way out for this developer.

This is a make-or-break opportunity for Yonge.

It boggles my mind that anyone would even think of defending the utter schlock that currently sits there.

from urbanation's twitter feed, confirmation that Lanterra are planning 2 towers on the site.....

Lanterra purchases 501 Yonge St for $38.5M, planning two tower development.

I'd love to see something like the Hullmark centre here.

Yeah, taller (180-220 meters) and maybe with more of a twist and a powerfull podium..

I wouldnt mind to see something similar to this..:cool:
Everglades-on-the-Bay1.jpg

Fat chance but Yonge Street is deserving of better than some block long massive podium as depicted in the photo and/or along Hullmark's lines. Neither does it need to be "taller" along this stretch.

Just hoping that the designers and developers of the new condo building(s?) on this site will take their cues from the Exhibit development opposite ROM.

This is a make-or-break opportunity for Yonge.

Unfortunately Lanterra is known for building with extremely poor materials inside their units. But maybe the outside will be decent.

Fat chance but Yonge Street is deserving of better than some block long massive podium as depicted in the photo and/or along Hullmark's lines. Neither does it need to be "taller" along this stretch.

Like it or not thats what you are going to get from Lanterra...one big podium and two fairly tall plain condo towers...maestro i know you get nervous anytime anyone talks height, but i will bet these will be somewhere between Ice and ML-condos in height. If you cant built tall here were else can you.

i'm glad lanterra bought this land, i hope the architecture is interesting and like automation gallery said earlier in the thread an office component to this development would be nice. i tend to think almost anything is better than whats here now.... but i could be wrong

Like it or not thats what you are going to get from Lanterra...one big podium and two fairly tall plain condo towers...maestro i know you get nervous anytime anyone talks height, but i will bet these will be somewhere between Ice and ML-condos in height. If you cant built tall here were else can you.

I hardly get nervous. I just don't care for the grandiose illusions pertaining to height dominating these forums. Toronto is not a lesser city because it doesn't have an equal number of skyscrapers. Toronto is a lesser city because we are judged by the number of towers under construction while the public realm and other important aspects of city building get passed over.

Proof that tall (how tall is tall is dependant on one's delusions) is acceptable just about anywhere is defined by how often you read, " if you can't build tall here than where can you" . I also think you're overestimating how tall a developer is required to build here. 100 to 125 metres is the tippy tip of what I'd count on height wise.

Yonge Street is narrow, and its built form is such, that it does not require a large podium like some people seem to want. That would be a terrible idea.

Back