Toronto TeaHouse 501 Yonge Condominiums | 170.98m | 52s | Lanterra | a—A

No question, to my mind, the north (shorter) tower is by far the more interesting.

But the second tower is well executed, if bland.

It strikes me that perhaps something as simple as a pop of colour would really have elevated it.

What if the those balconies were bright red instead of white?

Were that the case, I might want a slight difference in the colour of the glass, as its a bit blue for the red pop.

Something more brown/black would work.

Or if you stuck w/the blue.......

Anyone for Orchard Purple Balconies?

Last edited:
Today.
90FAB8A3-B753-47DB-9A2F-D526CBB9190F.jpeg

The walls behind the glass up there very well could be treated in some way, there may be a glow up there in the end. Maybe part of a public art component?
It's also hit me (finally) that the panels hiding the above-ground garage are, in a reference to the TeaHouse moniker, meant as a type of shoji screen, as per the below:

shoji.jpg

Source

I wonder if they too will glow when it's all done, I certainly hope so, it's the most obvious spot for some significant public art integrated into the design.

Will the garage ceiling component have a bamboo drop ceiling then? /boggles

Edit/Disclaimer: No, this question shouldn't be taken too seriously. >.<

Last edited:
No question, to my mind, the north (shorter) tower is by far the more interesting.

But the second tower is well executed, if bland.

It strikes me that perhaps something as simple as a pop of colour would really have elevated it.

What if the those balconies were bright red instead of white?

Were that the case, I might want a slight difference in the colour of the glass, as its a bit blue for the red pop.

Something more brown/black would work.

Or if you stuck w/the blue.......

Anyone for Orchard Purple Balconies?
My high-rise balcony railings are clear glass. They preserve my view, whatever's left of it, and let light into my place. Boy am I glad they're not red, blue or Orchard Purple.

Don't forget that people will be living behind those railings.

My high-rise balcony railings are clear glass. They preserve my view, whatever's left of it, and let light into my place. Boy am I glad they're not red, blue or Orchard Purple.

Don't forget that people will be living behind those railings.

I have a balcony too.

I wasn't suggesting opaque panels.

They would still be translucent.

The process for affecting an outward colour and tint to glass can be done in different ways, it doesn't have to have a strong colour from the interior.

I don't know if you could achieve full clarity from the interior with exterior colour reflection; but I'm sure you could do something most people would fine amenable.

That said, the idea isn't for everyone.

My balcony panels have a 'smoke' tint to them (medium brown/charcoal). But I have a good view, and full southern exposure sun, so any minimal reduction in light doesn't really phase me.

I have a balcony too.

I wasn't suggesting opaque panels.

They would still be translucent.

The process for affecting an outward colour and tint to glass can be done in different ways, it doesn't have to have a strong colour from the interior.

I don't know if you could achieve full clarity from the interior with exterior colour reflection; but I'm sure you could do something most people would fine amenable.

That said, the idea isn't for everyone.

My balcony panels have a 'smoke' tint to them (medium brown/charcoal). But I have a good view, and full southern exposure sun, so any minimal reduction in light doesn't really phase me.
Bright sun shining through glass railings tinted red, blue or purple could make for some psychedelic, migraine-inducing condo interiors. Just saying.

Bright sun shining through glass railings tinted red, blue or purple could make for some psychedelic, migraine-inducing condo interiors. Just saying.

You have floor-to-ceiling windows I take it?

I don't, I have waist height to ceiling.

So my balcony panels don't impact the light through my windows.

I hadn't thought of the impact in the floor-to-ceiling scenario.

Back