Toronto Tableau Condominiums | 124.05m | 36s | Urban Capital | Wallman Architects

i went to SS once before it closed. some friends of mine were playing there. it was very nice underground place to chill. the crowd was very good. i think demi played there that night as well.

Yeah, I'm really not one for clubbing but Circa is taking such a refreshing approach it's hard not to like it. Even with Gatien's dubious past, the music is great, the rooms are varied (love the Kid Robot setup!), and so long as your camera doesn't break (as mine once did:mad:), you're pretty much guaranteed to have a good time.

Everything else aside, it'll be a real shame to lose that nice brick loft-style building. It's part of the built heritage of the district.

Everything else aside, it'll be a real shame to lose that nice brick loft-style building. It's part of the built heritage of the district.
i agree. although cantina charlies and pizzaville have to go. i would be fine with just keeping the facade and wrecking everything else down.

Let the hue and cry of the anti-facadectomist forces ring out!

Seriously, tho, the renderings at the presentation anticipated a 10-storey monolith covering the entire richmond/peter SE corner. ¡Viva los Modernistas! ;)

The only significant setbacks proposed for the podium were in the form of an interior, drivethrough courtyard with access by the alleyways on the southern and eastern boundaries of the site. As I walk past the site, I find it most difficult to imagine an urbane stuccoed laneway populated with Range Rovers and yuppies replacing the forever-infamous alley beside System. But the circle of life will go on: sidewalks will henceforth be home to vehicular tiger traps to replace the alleged dangers of random bottle attacks in clubland.

Which reminds me of the developer's continuous complaints about his neighbour at 111 Peter (aka the dirty gray cube). Rather than calling for a recladding of the 80s-remade, formerly brick warehouse, the developer was pissed that 111 is built to its lot-lines (silly warehouse planners -- building giant boxes).

In fact, the standing complaint about the warehouse-nature of 111 Peter was a central part of the developer's case for the need for extra tower-height on his 117 site. Yes, I recall that he explicitly noted the inability to fetch top dollar of the podium's south-facing square footage (silly developers -- trying to maximize returns).

Wow. An interior drivethrough courtyard. Because, y'know, god forbid anyone actually walk right out to the street in the middle of downtown.

Looking forward to seeing the design - it's such an awkward site to work with. A jaunty little beret for a roof? Hmmmm ... The evolution of this part of town fascinates me - it was pretty dreary in the early '70s when artists and counter-culture groups started to move into the unrenovated warehouses, then commercial interests moved in with bars and clubs to separate young people from their money, and now there's more and more housing, all the way from Queen Street to the waterfront. Where will it all end?

Let the hue and cry of the anti-facadectomist forces ring out!

Does it not already have a tacked on front facade? (although that doesn't negate the fact that cries of preservation of a faux front sends shivers down the spine)

This reminiscing about System & the good ol' days is pleasant enough, but let's be honest: it was a cock-infested, (usually) well-DJed, dirty, overpriced hole that was popular as much because it was open late and could be counted on as a drug score as it was for its music. It was one small step up from the comfort zone in terms of clientele (myself included).

Ahhh...the aesthetic of youth!

I don't mind dirty places to be honest. Some of the best clubs in Toronto (and the world) have always had a simple and dirty aesthetic (Tresor being an obvious example). What set System apart though was that it was well d.j.'d (as you said) and brought a crowd with a more discerning taste in music to clubland. As for cock-infested, bring it on!

Back on topic though...

Back