News   Mar 28, 2024
 31     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 209     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Toronto Surface Transit Network Plan

I thought Sheppard ranked quite low in staff's assessment of potential ridership and 'impact'? In fact, in the study you linked it was in the 2nd lowest quartile. Is the first motion simply a case of Council endorsing something that's happening anyways?

And yes...........this is a provincial decision.....and barring any surprising u-turns, its one that's already been taken.

The City's assessment is rather moot in that its only tangential to the decision.

I might add here, the City's assessment has its shortcomings as well, I don't think I want to pick apart the exact nature of those in this post.........but while its useful, its value shouldn't be overstated.

Also, it's wild that:
  1. A Finch West extension study was not endorsed
  2. While the Line 2 extension study was endorsed
That's...weird transit prioritization to say the least. I guess (2) was an olive branch (?) to the Etobicoke councillors?

Lets start by saying that these motions/endorsements are in no way binding on the province, the city or staff.

Its 'write a letter' or do a follow-up report.

So there is absolutely an element of doing right by a councillor that needs to be seen to be achieving something for his/her area.

Very specific wording, the way I read the second item: report on Etobicoke’s transit requirements and make recommendations for improvements *including but not limited to* a line 2 extension.

My guess is that the extension is not recommended for further development.

Very specific wording, the way I read the second item: report on Etobicoke’s transit requirements and make recommendations for improvements *including but not limited to* a line 2 extension.

My guess is that the extension is not recommended for further development.

It isn't; its a low-ranking priority.

That said, metrics chosen tip scales.

The extension taken as a whole under performs, the extension taken only to East Mall would look much better.

I thought Sheppard ranked quite low in staff's assessment of potential ridership and 'impact'? In fact, in the study you linked it was in the 2nd lowest quartile. Is the first motion simply a case of Council endorsing something that's happening anyways?

Also, it's wild that:
  1. A Finch West extension study was not endorsed
  2. While the Line 2 extension study was endorsed
That's...weird transit prioritization to say the least. I guess (2) was an olive branch (?) to the Etobicoke councillors?
Line 6 to Woodbine Racetrack or even Pearson helps Etobicoke too! But I suppose it is a bit of a branch.

I always say this too, but it's odd how little Doug Ford champions transit in his part of the city unless you consider forcing Eg West underground. As an aside, I'm happy it is grade-separated, truth be told.

That first map confirms my suspicions that the Wilson bus is the most hellishly overcrowded transit route in the city.

There are a number of issues on Wilson, and I used to take that bus corridor almost daily.

It’s just not the 96 Wilson, but also the 165 Weston Road North, the 118 Thistle Down, the 119 Torbarrie, the 120 Calvington, and the 996 Express. That’s a lot of buses, often arriving in bunches and then leapfrogging. The hospital has only increased demand on the corridor.

Traffic can be brutal, as it’s often used by drivers getting to and from the 401, and also as an alternative when it is congested. It’s a perfect corridor for bus priority improvements, if not full BRT.

Back