Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

The upper 65 floors of this thing are great, one of the nicest buildings in the city. It's too bad the podium levels are such crap. Reminds me of the Absolute World towers in that way.

Agreed the podium was an afterthought on the outside, but the money saved there was definitely spent elsewhere. I was pleasantly surprised with the active water features and lighting when they switched them on just before winter set in. The retail area is also full during business hours and will look even better once all the shops are open. Once Ten York traffic is added and 30 Bay inevitably connects from the east side, this will be a very nice PATH intersection. Overall, Menkes has definitely been upgraded in my books with this project.

I just moved into my unit in the west tower on the 66th floor and I was really impressed with the finishing and fixtures in my unit. And it has a nice layout as well. I did hear that they switched contractors at some point between the east tower and west tower due to poor quality of the finished work. No idea if that is true, could just be one of those things management tells you. I've helped my Fiance' do PDIs on her units in Ice, Studio and Index and this unit had by far the least number of problems.

Not perfect though, the metal balcony panels make a droning noise in high winds. There is a fix, they are installing square pieces in the middle of each panel to change the resonant frequency. My unit hasn't been done yet, and last night it got pretty noisy. As well the amount of wind that blows through the entrance door is unbelievable. Some doors whistle, mine sounds like a big fan is going all the time. They said they are working on the issue as it is building wide.

But having moved from a Citiplace building the difference in the quality of things like elevators, doors, decorations, fixtures, common areas is huge.

I just moved into my unit in the west tower on the 66th floor and I was really impressed with the finishing and fixtures in my unit. And it has a nice layout as well. I did hear that they switched contractors at some point between the east tower and west tower due to poor quality of the finished work. No idea if that is true, could just be one of those things management tells you. I've helped my Fiance' do PDIs on her units in Ice, Studio and Index and this unit had by far the least number of problems.

Not perfect though, the metal balcony panels make a droning noise in high winds. There is a fix, they are installing square pieces in the middle of each panel to change the resonant frequency. My unit hasn't been done yet, and last night it got pretty noisy. As well the amount of wind that blows through the entrance door is unbelievable. Some doors whistle, mine sounds like a big fan is going all the time. They said they are working on the issue as it is building wide.

But having moved from a Citiplace building the difference in the quality of things like elevators, doors, decorations, fixtures, common areas is huge.

Just curious - do you actually enjoy the balcony at 66 floors? Seems just too high to want to spend much time in it.

Just curious - do you actually enjoy the balcony at 66 floors? Seems just too high to want to spend much time in it.
Right now, not so much. But we will see in the summer how much I use it. The old condo on the 36th floor was not bad, I would sit out there and watch the lake .

February 24, 2018:
file1-3.jpg

file2-4.jpg

Attachments

• file1-3.jpg
    file1-3.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 571
  • file2-4.jpg
    file2-4.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 581
Heard that the East Tower still hasn't been registered with the city, although occupancy started in late June last year and the building had been fully occupied expect the penthouse levels since late last year. My understanding is that registration usually takes place 3-6 months after occupancy starts, it's been 9 months now, so for my own education here, assuming a builder has gone through the checklist of items, what could be the benefits for the city to purposely delay registration?

thank god for these towers and their interesting balcony treatment. They add a much needed visual distinction from the flat glass surroundings. The view looks so much better with just a little diversity added.

Here's some views from the 66th floor of the west tower. And a panorama comparison of the view from my apartment in NYC vs. the Toronto condo.
HP Views.jpg
IMG_1251 (1).JPG
Views - TO and NYC.jpg

Attachments

• HP Views.jpg
    HP Views.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_1251 (1).JPG
    IMG_1251 (1).JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 540
  • Views - TO and NYC.jpg
    Views - TO and NYC.jpg