Project Essentials / dataBase – detailed project information, floor plans, renderings
Projects & Construction Thread  I  Real Estate Thread
Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences 
90 Harbour St, Toronto
Developer: Menkes Developments, HOOPP

Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 237m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

modernizt

Perhaps what you're getting at is a desire for a different type of lighting scheme, namely what many skyscrapers in Dubai or Asia look like in the evening, with extravagant neon pattering, often embedded in their entire facades, with more visual interest.
The extravagant coloured lighting of towers in Dubai or other Asian cities work in context, but I find them to be tacky in general, and that is the exact opposite of what I want here in Toronto.

Let me reiterate one last time: I like the occasional LED lighting on towers, and I was a huge supporter of it when it started to come into popularity in Toronto and when it was added to the CN Tower. However, it's becoming a 'de facto' practice for most new projects and it's just too much - it weakens the effect of successful lighting schemes when every single other new tower has its own lighting. Killing the goose that laid the golden egg, in a sense.

Light

What's not to love about lighting? It not only animates the night sky but adds a level of dynamism to the skyline. I also really like all the little red blinking lights. I think Cityplace started the trend and I like how developers are upping the game in each new development. Ice was a fantastic addition.
Panoramic presentation of Toronto's skyline from Harbourfront
by Roland Shainidze, on Flickr

Wow...so cool. Not over-the-top or garish. Just the right amount and classy.

jje1000

Graze lighting like what we have here is definitely more subtle and sophisticated than LED speedstripes- I think we're still missing out some major core office towers being illuminated (would love the setbacks on the top of Brookfield Place to get some lighting, maybe along with the top notch at Scotiabank Plaza and some illumination at the Royal York).

skycandy

Stunning pic there kris...or should I say Matthew?

They were 'playing' around with the lights again last evening...including a subtle shift from light mauve to blue to green. But seemingly in one portion of one of the crowns. Looked nice though.

Here are a couple from today (on a gleaming, bright, mild, spring morn...)

One York-1.jpg

One York-2.jpg

From Polson....

One York-3.jpg

Attachments

Last edited: