Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

wow. great renders! I really understand why people are calling it a bunker, but with some black marble/granite (the MLS podium material), it could be very tollerable..

Also, why is it that in renders, they always make out the podium interiors as art galleries LOL. and actually, it kinda does look MOMA ish

Another drab, grey condo complex, to add to the dozens we already have. Way to go Toronto! Our obsession for grey is never ending.

It looks like they're trying to call out the best of Telus House, but without the compositional clarity. I understand why the Gardiner side can lean to being a bulky hulk, but not the rest.
One aA's strong calling cards is their attention to detail, in finely tailoring things. Maybe they are not capable of properly conceiving engaging complexes of this size yet. ICE is alright - maybe the firm is currently overextended. Or they might be more comfortable with stand-alone buildings, where they have some contrast with their neighbours. I'd also like to see aA off this condo kick and designing places of worship, symphony halls, arenas, movie theatres and just about anything but another high-rise, to see how they'd do. But I guess that's not where the market is right now.
I'd say the base needs a radical re-think. I reminds me of the 70's Eaton's building in downtown Vancouver. The towers shown haven't engaged me yet, either.
On a side note, if there was ever a rendering that needn't show towers in a park, this is one of them.

Last edited:
Kinda wish they rendered it with junk stuffed up to the window to give a realistic idea what it will look like when Target occupies it. Looks like they aren't really going to take proper advantage of their PATH connection either... just have it there a long echoing hallway

Why does every building have to have balconies? I'm serious, is it that people won't buy unless they can sit out on the 70th floor.

213f0hc.jpg

On a side note, if there was ever a rendering that needn't show towers in a park, this is one of them.

That was my first thought upon seeing the rendering -- it looks like it will be built in some rural meadow, instead of one of the most urban sites imaginable. Where is Harbour Street? All that is visible is a narrow lane with a few diminutive autos on it, behind a large grassed field where Waterpark Place 3 is going up.

If you look at the office tower, it looks like the tower will be done in frosted white glass. It tapers off into clear windows at the base. If they do this building in white glass, it may look pretty nice. Not super excited about the residential portion of this project, or that pillbox at the bottom. Leaves alot to be desired for such a city focal point.

It looks like they're trying to call out the best of Telus House, but without the compositional clarity. I understand why the Gardiner side can lean to being a bulky hulk, but not the rest.
One aA's strong calling cards is their attention to detail, in finely tailoring things. Maybe they are not capable of properly conceiving engaging complexes of this size yet. ICE is alright - maybe the firm is currently overextended.

It has already been noted that aA is handling the residential towers while &co is handling the office tower and the podium.

That was my first thought upon seeing the rendering -- it looks like it will be built in some rural meadow, instead of one of the most urban sites imaginable. Where is Harbour Street? All that is visible is a narrow lane with a few diminutive autos on it, behind a large grassed field where Waterpark Place 3 is going up.

Tough one to render in that regard. No one will realistically ever have this view since WPPIII will be in the way from this angle. The park itself will be extend south of the office tower to where the large vitrine is in the middle of the podium, so at least there will be a park there for some of it.

Strangley enough, as someone else has noted, the cars are facing the wrong direction on eastbound-only Harbour.

Speaking of views that will not be seen for long

2rzub1x.jpg

Indeed .... especially since Ten York will likely be built either at same time (if not before) 1 York

Thanks for posting all the renderings ChesterCopperpot! At least the west elevation rendering shows WPPIII. I kinda like the west elevation of the office building with the two-tone glass. If it ends up staying like that (unlike 18 York) it would be unfortunate that Ten York will be in front of it.

Last edited:
WOW, what a piece of crap. This whole project is disgusting, the double podium concept seems like it's designed to ruin view corridors and eliminate street canyons. Eventually we'll have one homogenous wall of condos with every possible view of the lake blocked. The only useful thing these towers could ever be used for is a suicide jump after seeing what Toronto's becoming.

Back