Toronto Sugar Wharf Condominiums (Phase 2) | 299m | 90s | Menkes | a—A

I'd hate to say I told the wishful thinkers during Phase 1 "I told you this would end up being uninspiring trash", but I told you so. The unfortunate part, is that we will be getting 300 metres of this non-sense so there will be no other buildings that will cover it up.

Can we have the grid scheme back? From the original Rezoning... would have much preferred to see this direction:

299 meters, are you kidding me? That's really the final architectural height? No crown, no spire, not even a measly little stick? As a height enthusiast, this feels like a giant middle finger.

If there is no recession or pullback and YSL/Sugar Wharf turn a profit, then in 10 years we will see several 1500+ unit residential buildings proposed in the 350m height range. Elevators need to become a touch more efficient so they don't need to add an additional shaft.

15 years ago we were far too excited about inching over the 500 foot mark (College Park, Harbour View Estates, One King, ...); now they're common because the economics are there for it.

Sales have slumped but that'll be temporary if unemployment stays low.

Last edited:
If there is no recession or pullback and YSL/Sugar Wharf turn a profit, then in 10 years we will see several 1500+ unit residential buildings proposed in the 350m height range. Elevators need to become a touch more efficient so they don't need to add an additional shaft.

15 years ago we were far too excited about inching over the 500 foot mark (College Park, Harbour View Estates, One King, ...); now they're common because the economics are there for it.

Sales have slumped but that'll be temporary if unemployment stays low.

Double stacked elevators would help. Odd-Even floor ones. I think the biggest thing for sales slump is the affordability. I have a good paying job and have to live far outside and commute due to prices downtown. Unfortunate because I'd love to own down there.

But also yes the design is lackluster for such prominent buildings in the skyline. Even a little more done varying the balconies would be a step in the right direction.

Given that the rendering doesn't properly display Phase 1 (very different balcony pattern), and doesn't really show Tower D, I'm holding out hope that these aren't final and that there's more design work to come. There's still time considering these shouldn't be going on sale for another 1-2 years.

That being said, I actually wouldn't be too opposed to these designs so long as Tower D (the one in front) has unique/impressive architecture, which it might be based on the curved balconies.

299 meters, are you kidding me? That's really the final architectural height? No crown, no spire, not even a measly little stick? As a height enthusiast, this feels like a giant middle finger.

These are too tall considering they are void of any architecture

My gut feeling is that the towers are fleshed out to an extent, but that the final work might end up going to a 'more affordable' architecture firm who will do the detailing- like what happened at the West Block. Hence their underdetailing compared to the rest of the project and massing-like quality.

Expect lots of spandrel...

Personally, I'm more concerned about the south-facing podium- it over emphasizes the horizontal, lacks any sort of visual relief or breaks, is almost antiseptic, and is devoid of any warm colours. It's going to be very boring to look at, and even be around.

Last edited:
I believe when everything is said and done this downtown core is going to look cheap. With most of the cheap quality weird looking glass structures going up. It would be nice to see the podiums beefed up with more solid wall instead of glass! And tone down on the balcony attitude.

I believe when everything is said and done this downtown core is going to look cheap. With most of the cheap quality weird looking glass structures going up. It would be nice to see the podiums beefed up with more solid wall instead of glass! And tone down on the balcony attitude.

I think the bevy of new office towers proposed and under construction will balance out the condos architecturally quite nicely.

Back