Toronto Sugar Wharf Condominiums (Phase 1) | 231m | 70s | Menkes | a—A

Does it matter? I think the idea that every building needs to have a separate, new, distinct, identity is tired and rote. I'd rather we really start just straight copying building after building so construction becomes more efficient, the lessons learned on one building are applied to the next, and the units within get continually better.

Does it matter? I think the idea that every building needs to have a separate, new, distinct, identity is tired and rote. I'd rather we really start just straight copying building after building so construction becomes more efficient, the lessons learned on one building are applied to the next, and the units within get continually better.

Despite the "band-aid" joke earlier, and though I'm not much of a fan of perf-ed aluminum balcony guards (these look ok)... I do think the use of fritted balcony glass as a design element for square buildings is still very much an untapped/explored opportunity to add some visual interest to our skyline (One Yonge Prestige is a pretty good start).

There's an opportunity to do so much more with frit designs from giant abstract/realist murals (we already paint entire walls of towers), messaging ... the sky is the limit ;-). Here's a wild and crazy thought... introduce some colour.

Sure being creative and more ambitious with balcony glass would cost a bit more but the proponent has already saved a bundle with the square floor-plates. So pony up some bucks and hire domestic artists to dream tall.

Gee ... colour... what an idea. At the very least slap some different colours on those concrete balcony walls.

I mean...
1664566221294.png

Problem is, when you start adding colour to transparent building materials, it can become the dominant light in the unit. This can be fine if you're on a 'lighter' level, but in the above image, would you really want to live in near permanent yellow, purple, brown, red, etc. light?

^ My post said creative ... didn't intend to suggest wall to wall horizontal slabs of colour.

Like each balcony contributing a slice of a 40 storey picture. Imagination + (under-paid) artist with a vision. I'll draw you picture if I have time.

And colour was a post-script to my thoughts on fritted glass design (step it up developers).

Last edited:
I personally like it. It is different, kinda edgy, not overly boring, like one color all the way up, or just clear glass. It does have one draw back. It looks better from a distance than it does up close.

Problem is, when you start adding colour to transparent building materials, it can become the dominant light in the unit. This can be fine if you're on a 'lighter' level, but in the above image, would you really want to live in near permanent yellow, purple, brown, red, etc. light?

I also find the colour can just sort of fade into the rest of the background. M5V's podium has coloured glass and you'd hardly notice it.

M5V.jpg

Slowly these are growing on me. In terms of glass boxes with wraparound balconies, I don't know you can get much better than this.
Personally, I still hate them but I'm done (or trying to quit) complaining about things I can't change.

However, If my updates benefit others who do enjoy these towers then I'm happy to oblige whenever I can.

I was not a fan. Oddly, I find that the bigger they get, the pattern seems to be working increasingly well.
I wonder if they took some clues from the Tour Nuages complex in La Defense, France, or even from the "Shangri-La" towers model in Terry Gilliam's 'Brazil'? Anyway, I like the idea, I just don't know if the execution is paying off.
Hopefully, once the finishing touches are put on, it'll all come together.

Back