Toronto Sugar Wharf Condominiums (Phase 1) | 231m | 70s | Menkes | a—A

i agree that number is very wrong. in general there is only one crane on one project in Toronto. in NYC each project has like two or three cranes. hudson yards and one Manhattan projects have more than 10 cranes right now.

i agree that number is very wrong. in general there is only one crane on one project in Toronto
2 Cranes: Concord Canada House • 160 Front West • Home: Power and Adelaide • St Lawrence Condos • Auberge on the Park • Tretti Condos • Artworks • Via Bloor • Nobu Residences • UofT: Schwartz Reisman • Reunion Crossing • Bianca • Scotiabank North Tower • Peter & Adelaide • SickKids Patient Support Centre • Theatre District Residence • Plaza Midtown • The Ravine • Scala • Saturday in Freakin' Downsview Park • Ellie Condos • The Kip District
3 Cranes: This project • Foundry Park • Artists Alley • Pearl Place
4 Cranes: Time and Space • Upper East Village Condos • 88 Queen East • Seasons and Saisons • M2M Condos
5 Cranes: Mirvish Village
9 Cranes: The Well

etc., but yeah, most have only one.

The multiples above however (I'm sure I've missed some, and this is the 416 only), count for exactly 100 cranes. Beat that anybody.

Last edited:
Pictures from the last 3 weeks.

5AEE3013-18F4-4F32-BCB6-5ED93606B0B1.jpeg

AC4560C5-5088-436F-8B13-710842555905.jpeg

Spring is here and the ships have started moving again.

B3942D8F-388A-48EB-A74D-1D0BE58B7C33.jpeg

The construction offices have moved inside.

22AB7735-CE6E-41D7-AEA5-4B6B6F9EA2FE.jpeg

4BBE7B8A-8460-4BF1-9DB7-1A1BDDC3344E.jpeg

20ACB2C9-A905-47D1-ACF1-4459939F1B0E.jpeg

4E22DC37-CC25-4527-B9DE-93A24D7A045A.jpeg

AC55205B-E2BC-421A-9B3C-C6C99F07C750.jpeg

89388E45-2507-4AFC-8104-DD95A0648A7A.jpeg

33935C74-27F8-44EB-8C34-54C8FF9623DF.jpeg

1EC97DDB-EDFE-4A47-AA02-D405250F4DC0.jpeg

I guess this transfer slab is the new basement with a raised floor for plumbing drains.
92CCFABC-D724-43F6-85CF-53D357862C0B.jpeg

85091696-9B8F-4DF6-907F-58068DAA4B3D.jpeg

D093B5E6-2CB5-453B-BFAE-77246870B72D.jpeg

D5D902D6-4393-4EA7-A6F3-A2CE6C093B67.jpeg

10! (confirmed, with possible evidence of an 11th?) That's as many cranes as there are in New York City right now.

I have such a hard time believing there's only 10 cranes operating in NYC. I'm basing this off nothing other than my gut.

New York is kinda quirky; they rarely use tower cranes due to proximity of neighbouring buildings. RLB doesn't count derricks, hoists, mobile cranes, or other types of lift systems.

Last edited:
2 Cranes: Concord Canada House • 160 Front West • Home: Power and Adelaide • St Lawrence Condos • Auberge on the Park • Tretti Condos • Artworks • Via Bloor • Nobu Residences • UofT: Schwartz Reisman • Reunion Crossing • Bianca • Scotiabank North Tower • Peter & Adelaide • SickKids Patient Support Centre • Theatre District Residence • Plaza Midtown • The Ravine • Scala • Saturday in Freakin' Downsview Park • Ellie Condos • The Kip District
3 Cranes: This project • Foundry Park • Artists Alley • Pearl Place
4 Cranes: Time and Space • Upper East Village Condos • 88 Queen East • Seasons and Saisons • M2M Condos
5 Cranes: Mirvish Village
9 Cranes: The Well

etc., but yeah, most have only one.

The multiples above however (I'm sure I've missed some, and this is the 416 only), count for exactly 100 cranes. Beat that anybody

2 cranes: The One, Rosedale on Bloor.

Eglinton Crosstown also had a bunch of cranes during this count.

I've seen many uses of tower cranes on short buildings too ( 5 Dale Avenue is 4 storeys with 1 crane ).

Last edited:
New York is kinda quirky; they rarely use tower cranes due to proximity of neighbouring buildings. RLB doesn't count derricks, hoists, mobile cranes, or other types of lift systems.
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for you insight.

2 cranes: The One, Rosedale on Bloor.

Not anymore ;)

^sorry i want to correct my self, by "project" i mean a single tower.
A bunch of those were single towers: 160 Front West • UofT: Schwartz Reisman • Bianca • Scotiabank North Tower • Peter & Adelaide • SickKids Patient Support Centre • The Ravine • along with The Rosedale on Bloor that @rbt caught, plus I missed 65 King East and the Ontario Court of Justice and others. Really though, what is a single tower: if Nobu Residences had been approved as proposed, that would have been a single tower with a hole in it. Now it could be argued that it still is one tower, they're just not allowed to build the stuff at the top of it that joins it together.

In the end, if the study is flawed because it doesn't count derricks (if they happen to be a big thing in NYC for example), and if they aren't being consistent with whether they include or split of suburbs from the count, then it's of very little use. I think a far better comparison between all the cities counted would be how many square metres is under construction is underway in each… but that would be more difficult to count of course.

In the meantime, via all the reporting that's done on UrbanToronto, I think we could come up with our own fairly accurate count of how many cranes there are across the GTA. Hmm, I wonder what the best way to keep track of that would be. Just start a thread that expands upon the post I made above by adding single cranes, and then reposting with edits whenever a crane is raised or removed?

In fact, I've started that thread here.

.And Vancouver didn't make the cut not due to a low level of high rise construction but because they've surely counted Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Coquitlam, New Westminster, and Delta as separate cities rather than just 'Vancouver'.
Hah, just imagine if they added the 905 to Toronto's crane count.
Which is funny because Burnaby, Surrey, Coquitlam, New Westminster, and Delta are akin being in former Metro Toronto rather than 905 cities.

Noted in the front page story about the final phase of Pier 27 that there are a couple renders in there that may (?) provide a bit of a clearer picture of what I presume are recent plans for the future towers here (which folks have been clamouring for on this thread for a while). Sort of makes sense that aA would want those towers to be reflected accurately given that they're the designer on both this and P27.

1618956725899.png

Hope this isn’t the final design and it’s just a place holder
Same here, especially considering the scale of all these buildings is very similar to that of Hudson Yards (minus 30 Hudson Yards). This would equate to an even more soulless version without the tourist traps to provide some false vibrancy.

Back