Toronto Sugar Wharf Condominiums (Phase 1) | 231m | 70s | Menkes | a—A

pool.jpeg
real pool.jpeg

Just a reminder as to what was actually delivered (and promised) at Harbour Plaza by the same architect and developer.

This building will no doubt be largely an investor building with a large percentage of units being rented or turned into AirB&Bs.

I wish all those buying in this building, who plan to live there, a bit of luck. You will probably need it.

Attachments

• pool.jpeg
    pool.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 815
  • real pool.jpeg
    real pool.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 764
  • pool.jpeg
    pool.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,171
  • real pool.jpeg
    real pool.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 1,136
To me, Harbour Plaza is pretty impressive

Also, Toronto Four Season Hotel was built by Menkes as well.

Also, the minimum lease term is six months and AirBnB is NOT permitted as stated in Sugar Wharf's Condo Disclosure Statement Section 4.3 b(IV) and in Condo. Declaration 4.3 a
_20180811_110040.JPG

Attachments

• _20180811_110040.JPG
    _20180811_110040.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,385
Last edited:
Less to do about bashing and more to do with people unable to take an objective look at their city from an aesthetics point of view.

Well if you don't like bland, featureless point towers, then why don't you just leave Toronto!?!?

Of course I'm mocking the "you're either support mediocre filler or you're against Toronto" charge. Some on this forum race to the ramparts to defend the mushrooming cityscape of supersize generic condo towers as if any criticism were a deep personal attack on their honour. Why? Who do they work for?

Many of us love Toronto, revel in its successes, and want it to be even better... But voicing legitimate concerns about how the city develops - or pointing beyond the 416 or Canada to inspiration, precedents, and alternative development models - garners knee-jerk charges (all based in projection) of being a parochial "self-hating Torontonian" or a Toronto-bashing "troll". This may or may not be followed by an unfounded argument that every other city is building out their city centres out with forests of generic filler, too, so shut up and look at these crime rate statistics!

Even if other cities are making mistakes - so what? We aren't interested in matching other cities' mediocrities, we're interested in learning from their successes. Learning from other cultures and places is how every great city since Babylon (including our own) became great in the first place.

Funny how they don't show the pool area that didn't turn out how they promised (nowhere near might I add). That video is a great way to dodge what they promised to deliver and failed to do so.

Also, Toronto Four Season Hotel was built by Menkes as well.

Also, the minimum lease term is six months and AirBnB is NOT permitted as stated in Sugar Wharf's Condo Disclosure Statement Section 4.3 b(IV) and in Condo. Declaration 4.3 a View attachment 153198

I believe 4 Seasons was a joint effort with Lifetime? Correct me if I'm wrong. Regardless, that doesn't really mean much to me. They still pulled off the bait and switch with that embarrassing pool at Harbour Plaza. Not to mention, they developed 365 Church.

Fleur looks promising though.

Less to do about bashing and more to do with people unable to take an objective look at their city from an aesthetics point of view.

"Endless bash" Errr what? If it walks like a dog, barks like a dog, then it's a dog. This city has an unhealthy fascination with grey and half-assing a lot of things. I gave examples, you and some others took it to heart. I never even mentioned crime.

My initial post was this:

"Just getting back from Chicago, we are really going about re-imagining this city the wrong way. We need to see better, bolder projects. Not the same old crap. Everything seems to be blue/green glass rectangle. We can't even change the shapes. Can't have stepbacks. Why can't we have a red or black tower? It's the same old shit. And you understand why sometimes the way people applaud this kind of stuff. Another forgettable project taking up important space."

This got you upset? Was I wrong? Majority of the new architecture here is bland. The public spaces are mediocre for the most part. Am I wrong? Yes, we have a few standouts. Why can't we have MORE of them? If this offends you then I'm sorry, might as well put me on ignore.

Getting back to this project, what exactly does it have going for it besides height? Explain to me how I'm wrong about this tower?

2018_01_11_03_19_40_sugarwharfcondos_rendering.png

No color, no shapes, just same old same old. I don't expect every project to be unique but these guys don't even try and you have people fist pumping.

Did you notice I didn't respond to your initial post in the Toronto/Chicago thread. I was fine with it.

It was your response to someone else saying you were fine w/transit in Chicago that first put me off.

I just had a look at the schedules for the various L lines, most of the busy ones have service levels of 10-15m outside rush hour, some even worse, and none manage better than about 6m service, ever.

Right on the CTA's website you can seen a narrow-platformed outdoor station, which is the dominant form in Chicago, a place w/winters every bit as cold and snowy as our own.

Their bus service is an order of magnitude worse.

To compare the two systems set me right off.

All you had to do was answer that poster fairly, by saying 'yes, transit is better in Toronto, I was focused on the architecture/public realm.

Subsequently, you went on to talk as if flowers on Toronto streets are a rarity, when they're damn near ubiquitous.

The grand displays of University Avenue and Bloor are noteworthy, but there are planters all over the Entertainment District, Yorkville, St. Lawrence, the Financial District etc.

You also called Toronto 'blah' and didn't qualify that which is what prompted my response about restaurants and music as if Chicago's couple of top tier museums are the be-all, end-all of urban vitality.

Geeze, I like a lot of what Chicago has done, though i do think the giant bean is utterly worthless.....but I digress.

What I wanted was for you to stick to what you just did, critique the architecture going up, critique the public realm in recent projects. By all means demand more and better.

Then I saw you taking this subject from the other thread to here. Yes, I find that exhausting.

Your actual critique of these actual buildings is fair and on point. Stick to that, and you'll have my complete support.

Wander off of that in favour of 'Toronto sucks' and 'Chicago is awesome' and I (and others) will call you on that.

* note as this is really mostly OT to this thread, I think any further discussion involving Chicago, if warranted should return to the Toronto/Chicago thread.

Though as far as I'm concerned we've covered things fairly thoroughly. I will endeavour to get back on subject.

In the second video, the kid's room was never in its original planning (6.17 - 6.26) and they have decided to convert other game rooms and party rooms to accommodate those who have kids and who would like to raise a family in downtown Toronto that i applaud this as a bold move and appreciate this facility.

Kids play room will be available at Sugar Wharf.

Of course, those who don't have kids would not care. Priority, value and importance is diff from person to person just like the look and the color of the buildings does't really bother me.

Menkes may not be a perfect builder, but certainly (to me), Menkes is one of the better builder in Toronto.

Harbor Plaza Kids Room (Snap shot from second video)
_20180812_091850.JPG

(Kids Arts and Crafts Room, Rendering from Sugar Wharf project)
Sugar Wharf Kids Room 1.jpg

(Rendering from Sugar Wharf project)
Sugar Wharf Kids Room 2.jpg

Attachments

• _20180812_091850.JPG
    _20180812_091850.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 955
  • Sugar Wharf Kids Room 1.jpg
    Sugar Wharf Kids Room 1.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 917
  • Sugar Wharf Kids Room 2.jpg
    Sugar Wharf Kids Room 2.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 953
Last edited:
Of course, those who don't have kids would not care. Priority, value and importance is diff from person to person just like the look and the color of the buildings does't really bother me.

They may not know they care but they do as buildings with many kids and no kid-friendly spaces end up with informal hallway playgrounds for 5+ hours/day.

Not much different than the persistent ball-hockey game in low-traffic suburban neighbourhoods lacking nearby courts/fields.

Yes, I keep forgetting that some people have no moral compass. I guess they come in handy at a company like this.

Back