Toronto Studio and Studio2 on Richmond | 131.06m | 41s | Aspen Ridge | BDP Quadrangle

The curvey building needs to be flipped 180 degrees. Do we really want the University Plaza blank wall visible on Richmond? Better to have it on Nelson.

West facing owners at University Plaza certainly won't be happy about this.

I think the sections of west facing blank walls of University Plaza built along the property line was to allow future buildings on the 181-199 Richmond site to abut and connect with (like the Element/FLY, Jefferson/ICON)...

As for the windows in the middle part of UP's west facade, they were arranged in a 'window well' type design in attempt to allow some light penetration in the future (hopefully owners of University Plaza recognized that when they bought in). I would think that Aspen Ridge's proposal with the shorter and curvey built form preserve a lot of the natural light that would have been lost had a tall tower been proposed right next to UP instead ... with that I would hope owners of west facing units in UP would be grateful

I certainly find great visual appeal in this S-shaped building.

I think the green patches are not lawns on Nelson or Richmond, but rather green roofs (or attempts at them)! I think the tower looks quite well proportioned and fairly nicely executed- I am having a little bit of a tough time understanding the curvy building. While I don't mind the idea of bending a building from one corner of the plot to the other, is it the best use of land or does it really matter?

Thanks project for posting-much appreciated!

p5

I am having a little bit of a tough time understanding the curvy building. While I don't mind the idea of bending a building from one corner of the plot to the other, is it the best use of land or does it really matter?

p5

It will be Euro looking,if its not curvy then it will be another box,a small one to boot.

If you say so. ;)

JavaIsland01.jpg

I'm actually quite pleased with this design. I'm a future resident of Boutique Condominiums with a view facing north. The current design of 181/199 Richmond St. provides a good distance between the two developments - atleast I think so. Instead of directly looking at another building I'll be overlooking the public plaza (as I am on the 4th floor).

What happened to the renderings?

Was there a reason that the post containing the renderings was deleted?

The renderings were not meant to be publicly released yet, and were removed at the request of their copyright holders.

ooo ... Aspen Ridge approached UT to take off the renderings ?? thats too bad ... booo :(

To fill the void ... here are plans / drawings that came with the preliminary planning staff report released to public ... no copyright issues with these ones as they are City documents :)

AR_richmond.jpg

AR_richmond_north.jpg

AR_richmond_south.jpg

AR_richmond_tower.jpg

At an Adam Vaughan meeting a couple of days ago Aspen Ridge/Quadrangle presented their redesigned buildings. It will no longer be a 39 storey point tower and an 18 storey "S" building, both connected by a two storey podium. The podium will have a shape and size that will blend in with the character of the warehouse district and the neighbouring building at the SE corner of Duncan and Richmond.

Now there will be two point towers of a proposed height of 47 storeys each. One at the southwest corner (Duncan and Nelson) and the other slightly west of the northeast corner of the property. The towers looked like a series of boxes stacked on top of each other with two storey gaps/indentations separating the "boxes".

Aspen Ridge will be occupying office space in the podium at the northeast corner. The redesign will not block the views as much from the neighbouring condo to the east of the development as the large 18 storey "S" building would have.

Holy crap - 2 x 47s instead of 39s + 18s ??!!??

So much for the hopes of an interesting design aspect too. :(

Was there mention if the Gross SF will remain the same with the redesign or has it increased?

I did not take notes. I think that it will only be a slight increase because the 18 storey "S" building was a large SF building. The developer said the size is reasonable because the location is next to the financial district and the height of Shangri-La.

That's terrible news for me, lol.. I will be moving into a north facing unit in Boutique and my unit is in the center of phase 1. The original design allowed me to look over the 2 storey podium of 181&199 richmond as I am on a higher floor. Now, with the increased podium size.. I'm assuming that I'll be directly facing another unit.

Back