119     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 286     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 651     0 

Toronto Streetcars

F

frizzed

What's the status of the city's proposal to revamp the extremely dated streetcars? There was a thread on this but I can't find it. Anyway, does anyone know if we're going to get newly designed streetcars?

frizzed:

Moved to transportation issues.

I recall we're going to be getting a mix of new streetcars (100 or so?) and rebuilt ones.

AoD

Current plan call for 100 CLRV's to be rebuilt at $1.2 million per car and buying 64 new LRT's. Cost $120 Million for CLRV's and $246 Million for LRT's. Total cost of $366 million.

This was updated in May for 52 more additional LRT.

Plan calls for 3 CLRV's to buy 2 LRT's for a fleet reduction of 64 cars and this is a huge mistake.

Does not allow for more cars to handle Expo 2015. Will require 44 LRT's to service Expo 2015.

Time line is still seeing the first LRT arriving in 2010 for testing and obtaining 30 per year starting in 2011.

I know for a fact that TTC can have not one, but 3 LRT's here next year for testing.

The rest of the 247 LRT's is to replace the existing fleet 100% on a one to one base will start arriving 16-20 months after a contract is issue. All of them will be here by 2011/12 as well the extra 52 in 2013. Cost $868 million

Cost is about $3.5 million for each new LRT plus cost for spare parts.

Will require one or 2 new carhouses at a cost of $80-$100 million each to handle these new LRT's.

The roof of the current carhouses will have to be raise 12' to service the new LRT's.

Since these cars are going to be about 85-95 feet long, the yards will not hold them also.

The biggest issue is money and the city is unwilling to fund it regardless if they do not meet the ODA 2012 year for lowfloor vehicles.

Also, TTC wants their sole source supplier to build the New LRT's and have no room to build both the LRT's and the new subway trains at the same time. Again, a huge mistake using one supplier to build all your steel wheel equipment.

All rebuilt CLRV's are to be retire starting in 2019-2022.

If you go to Transit.Toronto on Yahoo transit group, I have put up a PDF file of TTC plans as of April. I will be removing it next week when I put up May plans.

None of the rebuilt CLRV's as well the existing fleet will meet ODA requirements for 2012.

The whole of downtown Toronto east-west routes are 100% streetcars south of Bloor-Danforth.

Anyone with disability is 100% out of luck to ride transit in the city core and this includes north-south routes also in most cases.

There is a budget meeting on June 9 and I want to be there to say this plan is 10 years late in coming and how are we going to look to the world in 2015 running around without dated equipment.

I have already asked Sr level of government for $500 million to help fund this replacement program before it release funds for the Spadina Extension.

Spadina extension is going to carry 1/7 of the ridership that streetcars carry now. TTC cannot put more service on the road today for lack of equipment.

TTC needs to keep a few of the CLRV's and ALRV's like they did with the other past equipment for tours.

Hope this help.

The roof of the current carhouses will have to be raise 12' to service the new LRT's.

12 feet higher? Double or triple deckers? ;)

Wow, maybe even Scenicruiser-style...
1956Scenicrusier.jpg

Thanks for the responses guys. Appreciate it! I look forward to the streetcars. I'm impressed with the progession Toronto is making, in general.

The roof has to be raise so workers can stand on a platform to service the top of the new LRT's since this is where the motors will be. Then you need room for a hoist to lift the mortor out. It is the other way now.

You to Yahoo transit goups and go to toronto-transit group and look under file and you will find a PDF from April that I put up there showing the platform.

finance.groups.yahoo.com/...nto/files/
TTC-StreetCar-Fleet-April-19-2006-Update.pdf

TTC will have to build new 2 carhouses to hold 385 LRT's by 2014 with a further 314 by 2025.

Back