Toronto Stanley Condominiums | 138.37m | 41s | Tribute | Core Architects

Re: The Star article in today's paper:

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2015/05/08/towers-find-friends-on-toronto-district-school-board.html

One of the most poorly written and researched articles in recent memory. She writes that the site is 32,420 SM?
Never knew that Church and Carlton was a neighborhood "dominated by smaller mid-rises" (Radio City?). Loved the shadow study that showed no shadows on the schoolyard. The Star is the last place to find out how the dysfunctional approval process really works in this city.

Last edited:
Re: The Star article in today's paper:

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...friends-on-toronto-district-school-board.html

One of the most poorly written and researched articles in recent memory. She writes that the site is 32,420 SM?
Never knew that Church and Carlton was a neighborhood "dominated by smaller mid-rises" (Radio City?). Loved the shadow study that showed no shadows on the schoolyard. The Star is the last place to find out how the dysfunctional approval process really works in this city.

The column could have been better written, but I understood that she wasn't referring to the area of the site. The point was that the TDSB and the city were not working together. Frankly, unlike KWT, I don't see why they should. That corner is perfectly appropriate for a tall building; I am glad the developer could come to an agreement with the TDSB.

I agree with the Councillors. It's wrong for the TDSB to carry out these negotiations secretly and not to be up front about where the money is going.

I agree with the Councillors. It's wrong for the TDSB to carry out these negotiations secretly and not to be up front about where the money is going.

Perhaps the City could lead by example and provide a full accounting of where all Section 37 monies, park levies and development charges collected over the past 10 years have ended up?

I agree wholeheartedly with that. That's not taken anywhere seriously enough. Start with an audit and put a new procedure in place to keep the accounts viewable online.

I agree, and with total transparency re: S37 funds. And the S37 funds here were negotiated for the school board, not for the community. I was watching Council last week, and on Tuesday they went "in camera" to discuss 70-72 Carlton (among other issues), so I knew something was up. The Minutes that are posted now indicate that Council voted, with amendments by Councillor Wong-Tam, to accept the deal subject to approval by the OMB - including, as I read it, S37 funds go to the City (community), not the school board. We'll see how that goes. A report will come back to Council for June's session. http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2015.CC6.7

Stanleys.jpg
I think they should re-purpose this signage for the condo - an old-time feel for a new place.

Attachments

• Stanleys.jpg
    Stanleys.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,629
Presentation centre open now. Didn't go in, had groceries but could see the model inside. Might try to get a better look soon

Does anyone know if there are plans yet for the parking lot at Church and Wood streets behind this site? There was a crew there today doing soil testing.

While it's kind of sad and an end of an era for Zippers, the saving grace is that the retail here will consist of a gay bank, a gay dry cleaners, a gay nail salon, and a gay Subway; which will more than make up for the loss. No?

I hate to see Zippers go and I'm pretty sure this place won't have even a sparkle of anything gay here. I expect a dental office, a bank and nail salon and all, straight as hell.

I know companies are considered persons for certain legal purposes but I had no idea that they also have sexual orientations.

Hopefully whatever goes here ends up being quite gay. I'm not super sad to see zippers go, it always felt kinda dated and sad. It's more upsetting to see another queer business close, but who knows maybe something decent will end up here.

Back