Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

My list of Toronto buildings by "iconicness":

1. CN Tower
2. New City Hall
3. Skydome
4. ICE Condo towers
5. Scotia Plaza

If the cladding is good, 40 Scott Street would also make this list upon completion.

My list of Toronto buildings by "iconicness":

1. CN Tower
2. New City Hall
3. Skydome
4. ICE Condo towers
5. Scotia Plaza

If the cladding is good, 40 Scott Street would also make this list upon completion.

Ahh you forgot Trump, but good choice.....after the bridge is completed, i think the Parade complex will also be right in there.

I'd replace ICE Condos with the Royal York and TD Centre.

Trump is an utterly forgettable transplant from downtown Manhattan that blends right in. At best, it's very tall filler, which is totally fine, but it's not iconic.

imo, Trump tower will be a very well known tower in the Financial district, as well as being the signature/most recognizable skyscraper on Adelaide.
And by "iconic", i don't mean in comparison to the "legends" like the CN tower and what not. I think it's common sense that those landmarks are way out of its league lol!

I think more people will know what this building is than the Ritz, Shangri-la, and probably Four Seasons.

on another note, i don't think ICE condos are slated for being iconic... sure they're going to be menacing in size/impact on the skyline, but to most, they'll just be another twin-glass condo. Something like L tower should replace that :)

I'd replace ICE Condos with the Royal York and TD Centre.

Trump is an utterly forgettable transplant from downtown Manhattan that blends right in. At best, it's very tall filler, which is totally fine, but it's not iconic.

i agree i am pretty unimpressed with trumps impact on the skyline, i like the building but it just doesn't really stand out much... i view it as infill :p

i agree i am pretty unimpressed with trumps impact on the skyline, i like the building but it just doesn't really stand out much... i view it as infill :p

we can all blame it on location.... it may be infill but it is AWESOME infill. I don't think it gets any better than this.... i mean, infill with the bonus of adding serious height = epic infill.

New, improved Toronto iconic structure list:

1. CN Tower
2. New City Hall
3. Skydome
4. L Tower (under construction)
5. TD Centre complex
6. Scotia Plaza
7. 40 Scott Street (proposed)
8. Royal York Hotel
9. Roy Thomson Hall

There are other structure that are possible entries in this list, like the Eaton Centre or One King West (or even Casa Loma), but they are probably more controversial than the above nine structures.

Last edited:
New, improved Toronto iconic structure list:

1. CN Tower
2. New City Hall
3. Skydome
4. L Tower (under construction)
5. TD Centre complex
6. Scotia Plaza
7. 40 Scott Street (proposed)
8. Royal York Hotel
9. Roy Thomson Hall

There are other structure that are possible entries in this list, like the Eaton Centre or One King West (or even Casa Loma), but they are probably more controversial than the above nine structures.

I don't think any condo or office building could ever be considered an iconic structure bythe general public. Their list would be something like this:

1. CN Tower
2. Skydome
3. New City Hall
4. ROM
5.Old City Hall
6. Ontario Place
7. AGO
8. Roy Thomson Hall
9. Queen's Park
10. Prince's Gate

Last edited:
Actually the CN Tower is probably the first five spots, take it out of the post card and no one would recognize our city, trust me, I know, I show a pic, of the city from the CN Tower, (thus not in the pic) to my friends and theyre like New York?? Boston??
Its beyond icon..and thus, it s own status, This in no way reflects my opinions, just a general view of what people here in the US would recognize. ....
However, after that,..and the sports arenas....
1 FCP
2 TD Center
3 Royal Bank
4 Canada Trust (Pointy one)
5 Scotia Bank
6 Royal York
7 The lake the cold and the islands.
8 Simcoe Place
9 ....and until Bloor and Aura are topped off, no one here knows anything north of City hall exists. Just that view from the lake. I for one am happy that the future will force a change in that post card snapping industry. Its pretty lake view heavy, but thats what ya see from that vantage?
Can someone tell me if Canada tower is dead??? I remember it was sold?? Cant find the thread, did a search but that search mechanism was complicated.:confused:

LOL! I love how everyone is making a list ^^^
Iconic can be broken down further...

In the decade (2000 - 2010) for downtown:
Most IMPORTANT skyscraper built: Bay Adelaide Centre (also biggest skyline changer)
Best complex: Maple Leaf Square
Sexiest: Possibly the Ritz/RBC, (even though some currently u/c (like Shangri-la) blow it away, they aren't built yet.)
Classiest: One St. Thomas

I'm amazed no one's mentioned the Royal York, or Royal Bank Plaza for that matter. The Royal York especially, given how prominent it was from the waterfront/Gardiner for so long.

Anyway, has there been any revised opening date for the hotel? The last round of interior pics I saw looked fairly well advanced, and with the film fest a few weeks away I was wondering if they might try to pull off a soft launch beforehand.

I'm amazed no one's mentioned the Royal York, or Royal Bank Plaza for that matter. The Royal York especially, given how prominent it was from the waterfront/Gardiner for so long.

Actually I did include the Royal York Hotel in my most recent list. I also almost included the Royal Bank Plaza (definitely ahead of its time in its design), but decided to not include it because the list was getting a bit long.

Back