Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

First post from a longtime lurker....

I'm really not impressed with the design of this one, especially given what Ziedler is capable of. Things like Ontario place continue to puzzle and delight the mind more than a quarter century later - this just doesn't. I have a similar issue with the Norman Foster 'designed' Pharmaceutical building - Foster is one of my favorite architects and I was genuinely excited to hear that he was involved in a Toronto project - but what came out is just as unimaginative as the name "lightbox" (another matter altogether...)

it begs the question....WHY CANT TORONTO PUSH FOR REAL ARCHITECTURE -what the hell is Phyllis Lambert up to these days - she seemed to have a pretty stacked Rolodex...

I have no complaints with Trump's design based on the renderings, but I expect it will need to be reevaluated around 2010 or so when it's up there in the flesh.

Toronto seems to get a lot of almost real architecture - if I'm defining real the way I think you are - and then the pent up frustration explodes into a CN Tower or an OCAD or a ROM crystal.

The Pharmacy Building isn't just "designed," it's a "Foster"...

I really like your term 'almost real architecture' and I totally agree that when Toronto gets it right we really can hit em' home. (CN tower, OCAD, BCE walkway, hell, even One King West is pretty sleek)

No disagreement with that statement. I have to say, something smells regarding this delay. For the first time, I am now questioning whether this building will be built or not. The non-communication and the vagueness of trumptoronto's message concerns me greatly.

Sorry. Just been extremely busy. Lots to do to get ready for the ceremony. Everything is on track for the 12th.

I really like your term 'almost real architecture' and I totally agree that when Toronto gets it right we really can hit em' home. (CN tower, OCAD, BCE walkway, hell, even One King West is pretty sleek)

I was thinking more along the lines of duck, duck, goose: box, box, box, box, box, CN Tower, box, box, box, box, box, OCAD, box, box, box, etc.

I do agree that there's plenty of good stuff in this city. Toronto may not grace that many pages of architecture history books, but that's ok. Silver lining's still better than bronze.

I do agree that there's plenty of good stuff in this city. Toronto may not grace that many pages of architecture history books, but that's ok. Silver lining's still better than bronze.

I think we are a little harsh on this forum. Toronto has quite a few gems. For a city it's size, Toronto is quite blessed architecturally. I have had several friends from out of town/country come to visit who have marvelled at our downtown and the variety of architectural styles, and how beautiful so many of our buildings are. So many other cities have great architecture, but that is limited to a very select few buildings, while the rest of their building stock is horribly boring and drab. Toronto's architectural charm is in it's variety.

I was thinking more along the lines of duck, duck, goose: box, box, box, box, box, CN Tower, box, box, box, box, box, OCAD, box, box, box, etc.

The best description of Toronto architecture yet!

My problem is usually to do with the finishes. Exposed concrete, cheap materials, cutting corners. All of this can take a great design and drum it down to something mediocre

I think we are a little harsh on this forum. Toronto has quite a few gems. For a city it's size, Toronto is quite blessed architecturally. I have had several friends from out of town/country come to visit who have marvelled at our downtown and the variety of architectural styles, and how beautiful so many of our buildings are. So many other cities have great architecture, but that is limited to a very select few buildings, while the rest of their building stock is horribly boring and drab. Toronto's architectural charm is in it's variety.

We do have some architectural gems in Toronto and a variety of buildings both good and bad. Criticism can sometimes be a little strong but most people read and participate in this forum because of their love and interest of architecture, city issues, politics and related events. This board provides a place for people to openly discuss and share their passions for all that is Toronto, the good and the bad. Discussion, the sharing of ideas and information - positive or negative is a good thing.

Any volunteers to capture a picture or two of the groundbreaking ceremony this Friday at noon? There is also a lunch event planned at 11:00am at the National Club next door.

Hoarding will be coming soon after the ceremony on Friday. (Probably within about a week or so)

Attending the ceremony are Donald, Donald Jr., Ivanka, and Eric Trump and of course all the Midland and Talon executives.

Back