Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Can you imagine something being built right next to FCP/TD Bank tower??? I think those buildings are meant to stand on their own...

I know what your saying, it would be strange. I think that to preserve the 'vista' any development would either have to be short like the Bank of Nova Scotia building or the Exchange tower. Which would add some good density to the core without 'impinging' on the big bank towers (which Trump does a little to Scotia...) Or conversely, build higher, to create a true pinnacle for the skyline.
Unfortunate, vision and reality rarely intertwine when it comes to city building.

I know what your saying, it would be strange. I think that to preserve the 'vista' any development would either have to be short like the Bank of Nova Scotia building or the Exchange tower. Which would add some good density to the core without 'impinging' on the big bank towers (which Trump does a little to Scotia...) Or conversely, build higher, to create a true pinnacle for the skyline.
Unfortunate, vision and reality rarely intertwine when it comes to city building.

i actually don't really mind what Trump does to Scotia (from most angles). From Adelaide street west and East, I think it looks alright, considering Scotia Plaza is pushed back from both Adelaide and King streets... From the North I think it looks good as well. From the south/south west, it does look a little too close to Scotia Plaza...

I think one of the reasons why i don't mind Trump overpowering Scotia, is that it's centred around the Bay/Adelaide side/corner/north-west corner with the Onion Dome and Spire. That way, it gives the illusion that it's further away from Scotia Plaza... or something along those lines.

I actually like that Trump was shortened. If it was the same height as Scotia (roof height) it would of created a plateau effect with our 3 tallest (plus it would of taken some attention away from my personal fav and I can't have that). I prefer that our tallest are tampered, giving the skyline that 'pyramid' effect. Also, some might suggest that the extra height might have made Trump look better overall but conversely it could of just made its flaws more visible. I'm not a big fan of it, but I don't mind it at its current height and location. Only its best part is really visible from most views - the spire.

Some people mourn the loss of a 'supertall' claiming that there's only so many opportunities to build one. I disagree completely. As long as this city keeps growing it can't help but build skywards, density is better than sprawl, hence a 'supertall' is all but inevitable. Its just a matter of time.

Some people mourn the loss of a 'supertall' claiming that there's only so many opportunities to build one. I disagree completely. As long as this city keeps growing it can't help but build skywards, density is better than sprawl, hence a 'supertall' is all but inevitable. Its just a matter of time.

I agree, I'd rather have a dozen 200m skyscrapers and place them on the skyline (where it's needed), than have a super tall... because super-talls look best when the skyline can support it.
and the supertall Yorkville seems a bit unlikely.

We won't have a supertall for a long time because it currently isn't financially feasible to build a supertall.

You need either extreme density to support keeping the prices of the suites down, or extremely insane financiers who don't mind losing money.

Last edited:
I'm still pretty confident that me and Steveve will still be around when one final gets built. :)

LOL!... I hope so!... here we are, Canada, stuck with no super tall, whereas cities across the globe are now building Super-Supertalls. (aka. Burj Khalifa, Shanghai Tower, or anything near 600m)

Welding happening now above the dome, looks like the spire. I had a better shot of brighter welding but it was blurry :(

Edit: what the heck, here it is -

Last edited:
You guys realize that our first supertall will most likely be just over 300 meters.... Like it was said above.... Theres just no money right now..... But than again.... Remember that i only said "first"

Not sure why urbandreamer didn't post his AMAZING shot here yet:

fpl3sFwK

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=5414930#post5414930

This really is an amzing pic... And like i said on other threads:
amazing vantage point... And comon. lets face it. TRUMP TOWER is the real stand-out here, it's proportions are just perfect, and it's placement couldn't have been better, and it's real nice for Trump to switch up the dynamics here, with these MASSIVE towers like Scotia, FCP, and Bay Adelaide, and then mix it in with a skinnier tower,

I don't think anyone can complain about what Trump tower has done to this view... It's nothing short of amazing.

Toronto just got more.... EPIC!

Back