Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

6107077961_8b7a62e65a_b.jpg

amazing photo! this thing is beautiful! it's like a sculpture!!! this thing alone counts as public art! :D

amazing photo! this thing is beautiful! it's like a sculpture!!! this thing alone counts as public art! :D

Right-on, the people that never liked the man and the design of the building from the start will never agree with you steveve...but who the heck cares, its definitely a beauty in our skyline.
Seeing this close to completion makes me wish that the Sapphire Tower wasn't shelved.

Talking about sculpture/public art...here is a memory of what we could have also had.

SapphireTowerToronto.jpg

Is it just me or does that dome look slightly too low compared to the height of the mechanical box? Wish it were a tad higher to stand out from it. I guess the addition of the spire will make the difference.

Is it just me or does that dome look slightly too low compared to the height of the mechanical box? Wish it were a tad higher to stand out from it. I guess the addition of the spire will make the difference.

i thought so too a few months ago. Judging by all the renders we saw, it looked like the dome was gonna be much taller.... but it was all the perspective. the mech box goes up about 1/3rd the height of the main steel dome part...

and regarding Sapphire, i've always wanted to see what that tower would look like in real life.... I know the design was weak and awkward, the materials looked cheap, but heck... that disco ball at the top might have been incredibly unique.... not to mention... SUPERTALL BABY!!!

and regarding Trump hate... I think to the general audience, they will find it eye catching, and remember the name... and since people will be BLOWN AWAY by the interiors, they'll say "that's a nice building".... whether they mean inside or out :D

Is the part of the onion dome, the piece on the north-west corner that rises from the top of the concrete structure and looks like it's there to support a tower crane temporary??

Right-on, the people that never liked the man and the design of the building from the start will never agree with you steveve...but who the heck cares, its definitely a beauty in our skyline.
Seeing this close to completion makes me wish that the Sapphire Tower wasn't shelved.

Talking about sculpture/public art...here is a memory of what we could have also had.

SapphireTowerToronto.jpg

I wish someone would come along and use this design for their project, as this is the kind of building TO is missing.

They also should look at some of the designs from Mississauga Absolute Tower contest back in 2005.

Way tooooooo many square boring boxes.

They also should look at some of the designs from Mississauga Absolute Tower contest back in 2005.

Thanks for the reminder, a shame they haven't employed similar designs in Toronto.
These were the 6 finalists; (there were also 6 more semi-finalists that didn't make the cut, but even some of those were pretty impressive)
finalists7fp.jpg

algonquin; http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=312953
http://spacingtoronto.ca/2006/02/01...y-trucks-downtown-waterftont-money-questions/

Last edited:
Hahahah tooo bad Harry Stinton didn't get to build this. With 1King West being such a nightmare i am not suprised. I remember being an MOD at the hotel from midnight to 8am, and Harry would be at his desk in the lobby working until 4-5am. The drawings and designs were awesome. My main job was to make sure he stayed away from guests and staff, so dont give him a reason to come out of the shell.

I'm thrilled that we have so many box-like towers, in combination with such an unrelenting street grid. When I walk to the end of my Riverdale street and admire the sculptural massing of the downtown towers from across the valley, I'm seeing them at a jaunty 45 degree angle because of a street grid which I sense rather than see and which helps maintain a sense of order and unity to the buildings - and that includes Trump, because it's basically a box too in the bigger picture, and is also turned at the same 45 degrees. Seeing the skyline from an angle gives it a new aspect that it wouldn't have if there were no uniform street grid and none of the buildings conformed to a basic type; the only tall structure that fails this test is the only one that's not a box - the CN Tower, which doesn't transform but looks the same from all directions.

That spire has really got some height to it. Is it going to get any taller or is that it for height? Can't rly tell from this angle if it's taller than Scotia yet.

Back