Toronto St Michael's Hospital Patient Care Tower & Emergency Department | ?m | 17s | St. Michael's | NORR

Today.
IMG_4657.JPG
IMG_4658.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4657.JPG
    IMG_4657.JPG
    976.8 KB · Views: 660
  • IMG_4658.JPG
    IMG_4658.JPG
    989 KB · Views: 516
Great that St. Mike's is getting some much-needed extra space, but man, yuck.

Especially when you add it to the mish-mash of styles from the various additions. Nobody wants to spend anytime inside and you don't really want to spend time outside looking at it.

Especially when you add it to the mish-mash of styles from the various additions. Nobody wants to spend anytime inside and you don't really want to spend time outside looking at it.

Precisely. I was hopeful when the project was originally announced that it could provide a "reset" of sorts for a critical downtown hospital that has reputation problems; call me a hopeless romantic, but I believe in the power of transformative design to actually transform. Instead, we get this.

Precisely. I was hopeful when the project was originally announced that it could provide a "reset" of sorts for a critical downtown hospital that has reputation problems; call me a hopeless romantic, but I believe in the power of transformative design to actually transform. Instead, we get this.

Very well said.

Although there is possibly still hope for the interiors. IIRC, part of the original intent of this project (along with the new ambulance bay at Shuter and Bond), was a redesign of the entire ground floor of the facility across the block, to make it more coherent, to make it more welcoming to patients and the public and to better connect all the different facilities within the hospital. That, in and of itself, could be transformative in terms of how the public accesses, uses and perceives this facility. However, I have no idea if this objective ever made it into the final budget.

Very well said.

Although there is possibly still hope for the interiors. IIRC, part of the original intent of this project (along with the new ambulance bay at Shuter and Bond), was a redesign of the entire ground floor of the facility across the block, to make it more coherent, to make it more welcoming to patients and the public and to better connect all the different facilities within the hospital. That, in and of itself, could be transformative in terms of how the public accesses, uses and perceives this facility. However, I have no idea if this objective ever made it into the final budget.

The ground floor is going to be completely redesigned to accommodate the expanded ER - but I am not sure how much impact there will be externally (esp. given things like the trauma bay is going to be right up against the edge of the building) - it's not exactly what I'd call street level animation.

AoD

The ground floor is going to be completely redesigned to accommodate the expanded ER - but I am not sure how much impact there will be externally (esp. given things like the trauma bay is going to be right up against the edge of the building) - it's not exactly what I'd call street level animation.

AoD

yeah, but I wasn't talking about external impacts. I'm assuming that's a lost cause.

AoD
There is also a plan (not sure if it is actually funded yet) to demolish the section of St Mikes on Shuter & Bond and build another tower there - presumably not too tall that it will block the helicopters.

There is also a plan (not sure if it is actually funded yet) to demolish the section of St Mikes on Shuter & Bond and build another tower there - presumably not too tall that it will block the helicopters.

You mean the Shuter Wing? I think they are going to cap it a 2 floors (part of ER expansion) for now - but it's pretty clear that the plans would allow for a tower there.

AoD

Back