Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

Fantastic project. Skeleton just about complete and clothing being added.

DSC04341.JPG

DSC04342.JPG

DSC04343.JPG

DSC04344.JPG

DSC04345.JPG

DSC04346.JPG

I think Front St here, between the North and South Markets, needs a re-think. Get rid of the median, paint large diamonds on the roadway and install retractable bollards at Jarvis and Market St/Lane. This spot should function as a public square on special and frequent occasions, with venders and other activities and gatherings.

I think Front St here, between the North and South Markets, needs a re-think. Get rid of the median, paint large diamonds on the roadway and install retractable bollards at Jarvis and Market St/Lane. This spot should function as a public square on special and frequent occasions, with venders and other activities and gatherings.
Great idea, but a tough sell in car-centric Toronto.

You'd have to close Front Street up to Church as Market isn't really set up to absorb any traffic. Given its current configuration I'd shut it down before Front, and I believe simplified closures was the intention with the Market Street redesign a few years ago. That being said I can't recall such a closure ever happening.

There are certainly discussions going on about how to improve the Front Street connection between the two Market buildings. There are also more serious (or more advanced) discussions about completely closing Market Street to traffic from Front to The Esplanade. This came to Council last year and City staff are supposed to be reporting back on it. (Last year the route from westbound Front into southbound Market was blocked and that greatly reduced traffic. (The planters are a temporary impediment until something more permanent is done.) I really doubt Front could be closed to traffic as it is, unfortunately, a major route but the idea of a better road surface and maybe more bump-outs at the Markets is certainly very much in mind.

This might be a silly question but is the glass in the top arched portion actually clearer or does it simply look that way because the background is open to the sky as opposed to levels 2 - 4?

This might be a silly question but is the glass in the top arched portion actually clearer or does it simply look that way because the background is open to the sky as opposed to levels 2 - 4?
The glass on the top floor does not have closely spaced enamelled lines on it (frit or fritting) like the floors below it do, and it may be clearer as well… but for sure the lack of frit is a major difference.

There are certainly discussions going on about how to improve the Front Street connection between the two Market buildings. There are also more serious (or more advanced) discussions about completely closing Market Street to traffic from Front to The Esplanade. This came to Council last year and City staff are supposed to be reporting back on it. (Last year the route from westbound Front into southbound Market was blocked and that greatly reduced traffic. (The planters are a temporary impediment until something more permanent is done.) I really doubt Front could be closed to traffic as it is, unfortunately, a major route but the idea of a better road surface and maybe more bump-outs at the Markets is certainly very much in mind.
Some things maybe to consider on Front, between the North and South Markets:

* Get rid of the centre median/island
* Raise the roadway to the level of the sidewalk
* Replace the asphalt with pavers
* Paint bold markings on the pavers
* Install bollards at the sidewalk edges

At the very least, all of this would slow down cars, trucks and other vehicles, which would be great especially between the two markets.

Maybe this could be done between Church and Jarvis. Whatever works.

Last edited:
Some things maybe to consider on Front, between the North and South Markets:

* Get rid of the centre median/island

For the most westerly section (with the trees), I like the Island; but the section in front of the Market is barely a pedestrian refuge island, no real landscaping, I see no real virtue in preserving it.

Now, the reason it's so narrow is that there is a left-hand turn lane from Front to Jarvis.

Were that removed you could landscape the Island OR you would widen the sidewalks, which is probably the more sensible choice at this location.

* Raise the roadway to the level of the sidewalk

Not sure I like that on a road as wide as this, if the left-turn lane is removed (or one or more of the through lanes, then I think it might be worth considering.

But to create a pedestrian-priority space, you really need predictable traffic, and 5 lanes (2 EB, 1 LT, 2 WB) is just too many for safety, I think.

* Replace the asphalt with pavers

100%

* Paint bold markings on the pavers
* Install bollards at the sidewalks edges

I'd opt for the latter. I don't think markings flat to pavement are all that effective even if they maintain their vibrancy (as opposed to fading) .

As a driver, I need to look ahead, and to the sides/rear if turning or changing lanes; there are only so many places my eyes can dart and, in general the pavement surface shouldn't be one.

Bollards have verticality. They are much more visible within a driver's normal field of vision; they also provide some real protection.

At the very least, all of this would slow down cars, trucks and other vehicles, which be great too.

Definitely.

Maybe this could be done between Church and Jarvis. Whatever works.

I would look at this across a greater distance. Wellington (if the City doesn't mess it up again) is getting a road diet west of Church. I think Front should get the same. (the curb lane next to the heritage retail should be widened to allow pedestrian space, patio space and better growing conditions for trees.)

Once this is done, I would be inclined to consistently shave 1 lane in each direction off Front in favour of wider sidewalks.

I would look at this across a greater distance. Wellington (if the City doesn't mess it up again) is getting a road diet west of Church. I think Front should get the same. (the curb lane next to the heritage retail should be widened to allow pedestrian space, patio space and better growing conditions for trees.)

Once this is done, I would be inclined to consistently shave 1 lane in each direction off Front in favour of wider sidewalks.
Yonge to Jarvis, including Front and Wellington. The area in front of Meridian Centre (or whatever it's called these days) should be friendly for gatherings too. And it would be nice if Berczy Park spilled out onto Wellington and Front more, especially in front of the St. Lawrence Centre. Actually, the whole sidewalk on the south side of Front, from Scott to Church needs to be at least twice as wide.

As I'm typing this, I'm realizing how much potential still isn't being realized here.

Last edited:

Back