Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

are the fins strictly an exterior visual element? or do they serve any purpose? curious to see how they look from inside

They seem to cause excessive view blockage versus a simple vertical fin without additional sun shading.
Design-wise, they do look like window shutters, but at the cost of claustrophobia inside (?)

All the options illustrated in the link look pretty grim. Why is Toronto so challenged by public spaces? Yet more runty, weedy locust trees. Why can't Toronto do trees? Are they really contemplating another basinless fountain, after repeated failures in other spaces?
I am told that the Market Lane Park plans may be further revised as there is now some doubt that the existing trees will survive the currently planned work.

I am told that the Market Lane Park plans may be further revised as there is now some doubt that the existing trees will survive the currently planned work.

I wish they could just transplant the general scheme from the West 8/DTAH Central Waterfront (East Bayfront Promenade) here - drop the maple leaf motif, but otherwise KISS. The redo feel more and more like potential busywork.

AoD

Today they started to install the large panes of glass on the very top level (west 'wing'). They really are moving along pretty fast now.
Clearly there was a problem because, after they had hoisted a LARGE window up to top floor yesterday, today no window is there.

Clearly there was a problem because, after they had hoisted a LARGE window up to top floor yesterday, today no window is there.
The top level glass was there at 6:00 pm tonight. The crane was up ~4:30 tonight.

E295DF8A-1814-4A7E-960C-C131B98AF63A.jpeg

8E68BD3F-F6B5-46A4-A870-F2D55D7B2B52.jpeg

But not there last night at 7:00 pm… that I could see.

FD09DB55-C536-44E9-A6F1-626F6FB8404A.jpeg

I have to say, I went back and looked at all the old renders......which clearly (to me) give a terra cotta vibe.

I find the orange to be more like the fruit orange and not terra cotta which has an earthy/rusty quality to it.

I appreciate the colour, but I still find that it doesn't really match up w/what was sold on a public project. That to me to is concerning on principle even if the project comes out looking good.

I hasten to add, that while I don't think the orange is bad, I would have preferred something closer to the colour-tone of the renders.

I have to say, I went back and looked at all the old renders......which clearly (to me) give a terra cotta vibe.

I find the orange to be more like the fruit orange and not terra cotta which has an earthy/rusty quality to it.

I appreciate the colour, but I still find that it doesn't really match up w/what was sold on a public project. That to me to is concerning on principle even if the project comes out looking good.

I hasten to add, that while I don't think the orange is bad, I would have preferred something closer to the colour-tone of the renders.
This is an odd critique to me.

1. Do you like it or not? I think if your aesthetic frame of reference is “does it match the render”, you haven’t figured out your actual opinion or don’t have one.

2. Renders are not construction drawings, shop drawings, or material selections. They’re a predictive representation that expresses the designers’ best intentions and predictions at the time they’re created. Things change. Products aren’t available. A gorgeous new product is discovered by the designers. A technical detail forces a different approach. A supply chain issue forces a substitution. Cost forces a change. A trade informs designers of a bad product experience and recommends a different approach. Or sometimes a designer just changes their mind as they spend more time on a project.

And now for my opinion: the orange looks incredible and brightens up a pretty drab part of the city (just kidding… the entire city is drab). It’s appropriately in line with the design direction of the render. Looks great.

They are really trying to expedite this. We walked by on Sunday with the kid and there were people working. Ordinarily I wouldn't notice, but kid insisted on watching the aerial lift going up.
Apparently they need to unload the last of the steel and 'big stuff' on Jarvis as there is no easy way or place to store much on site so are trying to do most of this on weekends. Once the structure is closed-in I think they will revert to normal.

This is an odd critique to me.

It's odd that you find it odd.

(reference a current commercial about eating eggs for dinner)

1. Do you like it or not? I think if your aesthetic frame of reference is “does it match the render”, you haven’t figured out your actual opinion or don’t have one.

I clearly have an opinion, I posted it, and you quoted it.

My opinion is 2 parts. One, it doesn't match the render and I wish it did. Two, while I'm ok w/the colour I would have preferred the colour in the renders.

2. Renders are not construction drawings, shop drawings, or material selections. They’re a predictive representation that expresses the designers’ best intentions and predictions at the time they’re created. Things change. Products aren’t available. A gorgeous new product is discovered by the designers. A technical detail forces a different approach. A supply chain issue forces a substitution. Cost forces a change. A trade informs designers of a bad product experience and recommends a different approach. Or sometimes a designer just changes their mind as they spend more time on a project.

You're explaining this to me? 🤨

It's odd that you find it odd.

(reference a current commercial about eating eggs for dinner)

I clearly have an opinion, I posted it, and you quoted it.

My opinion is 2 parts. One, it doesn't match the render and I wish it did. Two, while I'm ok w/the colour I would have preferred the colour in the renders.

You're explaining this to me? 🤨
Personally I much prefer this orange. Terracotta is already overused and I suspect will fall out of fashion soon. At least this has something to say other than "im trying to be trendy". It may still be ugly in 20 years but at least it will be uniquely ugly and have charm.

I do get the criticism but prefer the orange we got at the end of the day :)

Back