Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

not a common profile for terracotta. hollow fins referred to as 'baguettes' are more typical
Thanks for teaching me a new term! I gotta say, I really like how these look. Might even prefer them to the fins going up here.

How well would these hold up to our winters?
1646934243980.png

Google Link

Attachments

• 1646934248383.png
    1646934248383.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Thanks for teaching me a new term! I gotta say, I really like how these look. Might even prefer them to the fins going up here.

How. well would these hold up to our winters?
View attachment 384720

Google Link

I bet a version could be made to hold up well in our winters. Clay and terracotta building materials take expertise to create something suitable for a climate with harsh winters. A key consideration is to prevent water infiltration, though the same could be said about concrete and stone finishes. Terracotta fins would likely have to be solid and not perforated, but that would be quite nice as well.

Clearly it depends on how well the terra cotta was made and how well it was affixed to the rest of the building and how resistant it was to water penetration and the freeze-thaw cycle. Plus ca change.....
...which gets to my point, why I think terra cotta might not be suitable for the fins they are trying to create with for this project. And the devs went for a more reliable material for the purpose of the effect they are trying to create for this.

How well would these hold up to our winters?

They hold up quite well actually, more of a cost than a technical issue. See the 45 Parliament St. Datacentre by WZMH

Pls planeT some trees.
some greenery.
There is a park revitalization planned for beside the new building, referenced above (Market Lane Park). Also, during the spring/summer market lane itself usually has an abundance of beautiful planters bursting with flowers and greenery. It is a bit bleak during the winter though, sadly.

Back