Toronto St Lawrence Condos at 158 Front | 91.44m | 26s | Cityzen | a—A

ADD18945-8F6C-4633-9381-1435A7CBCDF0.jpeg
F914C73F-FD37-436F-80E8-3A03DA17967A.jpeg
484F86D7-68C4-4C34-98BA-EA2210748B0A.jpeg

I wonder if there's any possibility of making Front Street from Church-George St. more pedestrian-friendly?

I don't think it needs to be as wide as it is at the moment (the centre median + parking is unnecessary), and one might almost say that the St. Lawrence Market/St. Lawrence Market North ensemble would work better as a semi-pedestrianized zone.

I wonder if there's any possibility of making Front Street from Church-George St. more pedestrian-friendly?

I don't think it needs to be as wide as it is at the moment (the centre median + parking is unnecessary), and one might almost say that the St. Lawrence Market/St. Lawrence Market North ensemble would work better as a semi-pedestrianized zone.

I fully agree. Pedestrianizing a few streets (Front, Yonge, and King are my votes) would drastically transform the city. I also think it would have relatively little impact on traffic - I walk to work along Yonge and it's bonkers seeing dozens of people on the sidewalks, all dodging around and bumping into each other, squeezing together on the corners, while maybe 10 cars carrying 1.5 people each take up 2/3rds of the street. Pedestrianize streets, give a bit of time for the buildings to renovate and open up their storefronts to the street and for business associations to develop programming on those streets, and it would be an incredibly impactful and positive change.

Front Street between Church and Jarvis could make for a superb pedestrian space. I'd configure it as a market square-type space where restaurants could have massive patios onto the square, and where all sorts of outdoor markets, concerts, and events could take place. It would be cobblestoned with fountains and greenery.

A square at this location would likely be a more pleasant and attractive public space than Nathan Phillips Square or Dundas Square on account of the heritage atmosphere, the diversity of businesses fronting directly onto the square, the market buildings, and the lack of massive billboards.The views of the downtown skyline are iconic, too, with the Gooderham Building and the skyscrapers behind it.

So for those like me in the group that not able to head downtown as easy as we used to, I would love to see some updated photos. So if you are out for a walk in the area, grab a few photos for us suburbanites that can't wait to get downtown.

So for those like me in the group that not able to head downtown as easy as we used to, I would love to see some updated photos. So if you are out for a walk in the area, grab a few photos for us suburbanites that can't wait to get downtown.
There are very frequent photo updates on most threads, including this one. Buildings do not really move fast and are not even moving as fast as usual at the moment due to weather, covid-19 etc. This building looks remarkably the same as shown in the two sets of photos from last 10 days or so. They have started (slowly) putting up the black brick/concrete on the Sherbourne St side.

Back