Toronto St Lawrence Condos at 158 Front | 91.44m | 26s | Cityzen | a—A

A little off topic but the design of the roadway on this block of Sherbourne vs. the next offers 2 alternatives. They're both 3 lanes of car lanes with bike lanes on each side. The block to the south is a much nicer design if you're a cyclist as it creates a serene green buffer between you and the cars mid-block. The downside is that the left turning lanes are shorter at each end.

On that southern block the car lanes for those continuing south/north aren't straight but it encourages drivers to be more attentive and drive slower. Optimally it would be nice to have the design on the northern block but with a green buffer the whole length but most of our downtown streets aren't wide enough to accommodate it all while still allowing for a spacious sidewalk,.

If we're serious about pedestrianizing downtown, the southern block is the better design.

I have always wondered how they remove the cranes from large projects like this. If anyone is around on Saturday and Sunday when they take them down, snap a few pics and post them here please. Unfortunately, I will not be able to get downtown this weekend. Thanks in advance

I have always wondered how they remove the cranes from large projects like this. If anyone is around on Saturday and Sunday when they take them down, snap a few pics and post them here please. Unfortunately, I will not be able to get downtown this weekend. Thanks in advance
They usually use a large mobile crane to remove it - there are LOTS of photos of this happening on many other threads. For a really tall building they sometimes dismantle it with a smaller (temporary) crane on the roof and then bring that down. Frankly, like excavations, crane removals are all rather similar - seen one, seen them all! :->

1625769720592.png

Back