Mississauga Square One Expansions and Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Oxford Properties | MMC Architecture

Phase 2 of sq one redevelopment will start June 3. Traffic being redirected to Target and entrance between Sear and Walmart. Old Navy relocated to new section making room to build new Holt Renfrew at previous Old Navy location.
View attachment 13256

holt renfrew is so out of caracter for sq1 and the shoppers it attracts. many of my friends shop at holts and say they will not go to square one to shop at it again thought the who;e idea of mainstreet was to provide smaller cafes and stores a big holts certainly does not achieve that so not sure how the city is going to work this into their downtown plan

I’m more than a little disappointed that they didn’t make more of an effort to connect to what is a now major transit hub (City transit, Go transit and soon the cross town and eventually the Peel LRT). All they are providing is a minor “awning” over a walkway. Very weak, very third rate.

holt renfrew is so out of caracter for sq1 and the shoppers it attracts. many of my friends shop at holts and say they will not go to square one to shop at it again thought the who;e idea of mainstreet was to provide smaller cafes and stores a big holts certainly does not achieve that so not sure how the city is going to work this into their downtown plan

This is probably the point. Square One isn't spending money on renovations and expansions to appeal to the usual cheapskates who frequent the mall. They've made an effort over the past few years to have a better mix of mid and upscale stores and it seems to be working. The final step will be to kick out Walmart and replace it with a Simons.

Agreed. Take a look around the current reno, it's not to appeal to the regular wal-mart shopper. Yes, as it currently stands holts does seem out of character however sq 1 is doing a great job of attracting mid to higher end retailers to appeal to those types of shoppers. Besides a lot of the no name brand tacky stores have already been removed in recent months.

I have to say this expansion is nowhere near as ambitious as i expected. Seems rather disappointing actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soon, these malls will be so big, they'll put Bixi stands in them for shoppers to get around easily.

Ya for sure friends who work at Erin Mills TC tell me rumours about major renovation swirling..if so could be good competition top sq1 for those who enjoy smaller not bigger

Simons I hear are in talks with Erin Mills

could be terminal moving to Rathburn at some point

Last edited by a moderator:
could be terminal moving to Rathburn at some point

Where on Rathburn since it there now???

They have to build a new terminal for both GO and MT to handle 125,000 from the current 48,000 daily for MT. Have no numbers for GO at this time, but 10,000 maybe on the high side at this time daily. The terminal was built for 25,000 in 1997 and out data then. The 2 spots I can see and have said from 2004 is the north east corner or better still where the strip plaza is now. In 2004, there was noting there.

The mall itself has to reinvent itself along the lines of Eaton Centre to meet the Downtown 21 plan.

I have a vision for this area, but need $5 billion to do it, including buying out OMERS or most of them. The Mall would increase both in size as well units, including 10 anchors, up from the current 4.

They have to build a new terminal for both GO and MT to handle 125,000 from the current 48,000 daily for MT. Have no numbers for GO at this time, but 10,000 maybe on the high side at this time daily. The terminal was built for 25,000 in 1997 and out data then. The 2 spots I can see and have said from 2004 is the north east corner or better still where the strip plaza is now. In 2004, there was noting there.

The mall itself has to reinvent itself along the lines of Eaton Centre to meet the Downtown 21 plan.

I have a vision for this area, but need $5 billion to do it, including buying out OMERS or most of them. The Mall would increase both in size as well units, including 10 anchors, up from the current 4.

Good luck with that. Buying out Oxford & AIMco and their #2 cash cow (after Yorkdale). It's a well over $1 billion asset now, who would buy the Mall and spend the money that you're proposing? Why would they sell with so much upside left at the site?

Good luck with that. Buying out Oxford & AIMco and their #2 cash cow (after Yorkdale). It's a well over $1 billion asset now, who would buy the Mall and spend the money that you're proposing? Why would they sell with so much upside left at the site?

Everything is for sale at the right price. Big pension funds buy and sell depending on market conditions and their vision ..that changes as the the bosses do

Everything is for sale at the right price. Big pension funds buy and sell depending on market conditions and their vision ..that changes as the the bosses do

I can tell you with a truly immense deal of certainty that Oxford will not be selling Square One any time soon. They may sell a 25% interest for various reasons but I can be almost categorical in saying they will not sell out of it in its entirety.

I can tell you with a truly immense deal of certainty that Oxford will not be selling Square One any time soon. They may sell a 25% interest for various reasons but I can be almost categorical in saying they will not sell out of it in its entirety.
if omers sold 25% tHEY WOULD LOSE CONTROL...but anything is likely
CF folks never thought their pension fund would sell off properties either

Agreed. Take a look around the current reno, it's not to appeal to the regular wal-mart shopper. Yes, as it currently stands holts does seem out of character however sq 1 is doing a great job of attracting mid to higher end retailers to appeal to those types of shoppers. Besides a lot of the no name brand tacky stores have already been removed in recent months.
Sherway still has it over Sq1 for the high end shopper more appealing ambiance

Treminal could locate inon land behind Playdium or at corner of City View and Rathburn beside Playdium

if omers sold 25% tHEY WOULD LOSE CONTROL...but anything is likely
CF folks never thought their pension fund would sell off properties either

They wouldn't lose control, they are 50%-50% with AIMco now, they don't control the relationship. They would potentially sell down to 25% if they were guaranteed ongoing management rights and the fees that go along with it. It would also allow them to lever the property which is currently very under leveraged (and due to pension tax laws they can't up the leverage in place). Oxford is trying to grow its AUM and repatriating some cash while keeping it under management is in-line with their strategy and something they would look at doing.

Oxford will always sell in and out of positions, but the big three malls in the GTA are their cash cow crown jewels. You have no idea how much they make for them.

Back