Mississauga Square One District | ?m | 65s | Oxford Properties | Hariri Pontarini

I would suppose somewhere closer to Britannia. The NIMBYs are not going to want a stadium in any residential area.
That is ridiculous. Most stadiums I have been to in Europe are in residential areas or adjacent to them. Many stadiums that are currently being built by MLS and USL clubs in the States are similarly being built in their downtown core.

That is ridiculous. Most stadiums I have been to in Europe are in residential areas or adjacent to them. Many stadiums that are currently being built by MLS and USL clubs in the States are similarly being built in their downtown core.

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just stating how things work in Mississauga. The first complaint about any development in a residential area, whether it be a commercial plaza, place of worship, school, community centre, is: there will be too much traffic in the neighbourhood and too many people parking their cars in the neighbourhood.

I personally don't mind if a stadium is in a residential area. It's common in around the world for people to live in mixed neighbourhoods.

Call it what you want, it's a much needed oasis in this sea of asphalt and concrete. (Apple Maps)

View attachment 227457

While I agree, the green space is mostly scrub, swampy land, and full of dead and downed trees. If it were more like Dixie Woods then it would have been saved. With that said, the green space could have been converted into a nature park with an elevated wooden boardwalk similar the Saint-Lazare example below. The Oxford scrub is home to a ton of butterflies, rabbits, and birds.

Years ago, the developers wanted to extend the road, per the red line below, but the locals protested, and rightly so, because the land was teeming with all kinds of critters, etc. and the City agreed..
Via Google
1580341197563.png

24-sept-2008-007-600x600.jpg
24-sept-2008-023-1024x768.jpg

I apologize for the dumb question, but can anyone enlighten me as to the rationale behind constructing a giant shopping mall with a grossly over-sized parking lot in the middle of nowhere that looks like a bunch of farm fields?

https://www.squareonelife.com/history-downtown-mississauga-square-one/

History of Mississauga:http://www5.mississauga.ca/rec&parks/websites/museums/pdfs/history_of_mississauga.pdf

What is the history of Downtown Mississauga?
Many people have seen this now iconic picture of what downtown Mississauga looked like in 1973. That is the current Square One Shopping Centre in the image, of course now it has plenty of physical additions and a surrounding devised of modern Square One condos. How did all of this begin? Who decided to build a giant mall within some random fields and how did the rapid encircling development follow suit? Let’s begin by looking further back than the Square One Shopping Centre. Many people are aware of the downtown Mississauga street named “Robert Speck Parkway”. The name is actually inherited from Robert Speck, the only elected mayor of the Town of Mississauga in 1968.

how-was-downtown-mississauga-created-square-one downtown mississauga How was downtown Mississauga created? how was downtown mississauga created square one

In 1969 Bruce McLaughlin, one of the biggest visionaries for Mississauga began building the Square One Shopping Centre. Bruce had large land holdings around the intersection of Burnhamthorpe Rd and Hurontario St which lead to this being the chosen location for the shopping centre. The mall was completed in 1973 and Mississauga officially became incorporated as a city in 1974. Mayor Hazel McCallion took leadership as mayor in 1978. Interestingly many people believed that Hurontario St and Dundas St would become the downtown Mississauga core. This would have been likely, but a fire had destroyed the city hall in that location and Bruce McLaughlin, being the smart businessman that he encouraged the city to relocate the construction of the new City Hall to Square One, he even provided the land for free. This officially cemented Square One as the new downtown Mississauga location. Complimenting the ever modern approach of the city, the service and utility construction was placed underground, beneath the Square One region which was not common practice at the time. Bruce had explained that this was so future high-rises, and high-density buildings could populate the area. It’s this combination of ingenious forward thinking that allowed downtown Mississauga to blossom into what it is today at such an extraordinary pace.

Over the years as the downtown Mississauga area gained popularity and as condo living entered the real estate space, a surge in Square One condos began. Businesses also started migrating to this area. Harold Shipp, another prominent developer who built many neighbourhoods in the City of Mississauga was the individual behind the Mississauga Executive Center which lead to other office structures. We now have a fairly healthy residential/commercial mix within the Square One region. The formation of the iconic Absolute Condos really placed Mississauga on the world map and we now have spectacular projects to look forward to. With high-density growth in the area, you have developments such as Parkside Village, the amazing Downtown 21 Mississauga Plan and varying future Square One condos.

1960’s planning was on another level. The province planned (and actually built the first few houses) a new city of 150,000 on the shores or Lake Erie, laid out the modern GTA highway network even though the first phase of the 401 had opened but a decade earlier, and saw the rapid growth outward of the suburbs.

stuff like square one was built because they knew the whole area would develop in quick order.

Much like how the Halton Hills outlet mall is in the middle of nowhere today, in 30 years it’ll be completely surrounded by development.

The province planned (and actually built the first few houses) a new city of 150,000 on the shores or Lake Erie,

I find it very interesting how a larger city located on the Ontario side of Lake Erie never happened, considering Toledo, Cleveland, Erie, and Buffalo all exist. I've been out in Nanticoke/Port Dover area and it always seemed like it was supposed to be bigger than it actually was. Interesting to know that there was an attempt at making it happen.

I find it very interesting how a larger city located on the Ontario side of Lake Erie never happened, considering Toledo, Cleveland, Erie, and Buffalo all exist. I've been out in Nanticoke/Port Dover area and it always seemed like it was supposed to be bigger than it actually was. Interesting to know that there was an attempt at making it happen.
This larger city on the Ontario side could have had Crystal Beach Amusement Park relocated there (and significantly expanded) to compete with Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH, which is across Lake Erie from Leamington, ON.

Maybe something that should not be ruled out completely long-term, given the GTA's rapid population growth. Though there remains the tricky problem that seemingly plagued the original plan of how do you induce employment to relocate to the new area? That Stelco steel mill in Nanticoke is probably not long for this world either.

That being said, there is a lot of land ripe for intensification in the GTA already, including here at Square One.

Maybe something that should not be ruled out completely long-term, given the GTA's rapid population growth. Though there remains the tricky problem that seemingly plagued the original plan of how do you induce employment to relocate to the new area? That Stelco steel mill in Nanticoke is probably not long for this world either.

That being said, there is a lot of land ripe for intensification in the GTA already, including here at Square One.

I wouldn't rule it out completely either, but I doubt it would be as a result of the GTA's growth. There is a lot of land to still be eaten up and intensified in Peel, York, Halton, Durham, and more by the GTA's growing footprint before anything near Lake Erie gets consumed. There are lots of other malls like SQ1 in the GTA that will be redeveloped eventually to create dense highrise communities. I doubt the GTA would even be able to get that large in footprint either.

Industry over there would not be enough to sustain a city, between the Stelco Plant, Imperial Oil Refinery, and the Port of Nanticoke, so any community there would have to be completely planned with the provincial/federal government having a heavy hand in building new industry. Even back in the day with the OPG coal plant, it still probably wasn't enough to sustain a full community, and it being shut down was probably the final nail in the coffin for the area.

As the wikipedia article said, instead of the growth concentrating in Townsend workers in those (new at the time) plants simply moved into existing communities in the area. Norfolk County has a population of a little under 70,000, just spread out over a large area. My in-laws live down there and my father in-law worked at the Nanticoke Generating Station for his whole career before he retired. They live in Simcoe, not Townsend.

Anyway, we are way off topic. Didn't mean to take it this way. Maybe we should start a thread elsewhere on the topic or something?

Back