Mississauga Square One District | ?m | 65s | Oxford Properties | Hariri Pontarini

The Square One woodlot is more like scrub, while the Scarborough Town Centre one is a rather beautiful forest, much higher quality of tree cover, enough that area residents have rallied to save it more than once—way back when two condos were supposed to go in at the northwest corner of Ellesmere and McCowan, and then more recently when the TTC planned to take a couple acres of it for the Bloor Danforth subway extension. The first campaign resulted in the land becoming a park, the second in a rerouting of the subway plan. In Mississauga though, that patch of ground, while green, doesn't have a forest canopy per se, and never became a cause célèbre for the locals.

Call it what you want, it's a much needed oasis in this sea of asphalt and concrete. (Apple Maps)

Woodlot.PNG

Call it what you want, it's a much needed oasis in this sea of asphalt and concrete. (Apple Maps)

View attachment 227457
Been a lot of calls for that lot to remain as is and fully agree. What the city wants for green space isn't going to come close to what Oxford is willing to give.

It looks naked.

I wish we could go back to that and start over.
If you went back in time to 1975 to tell a shopper in Square One that the mall's going to be surrounded by condos half a century later (from 1975), you would be a lunatic at best.

Half a century from now (i.e., in 2070), Mississauga could end up with its own top-tier professional sports teams separate from Toronto's.

If you went back in time to 1975 to tell a shopper in Square One that the mall's going to be surrounded by condos half a century later (from 1975), you would be a lunatic at best.

Half a century from now (i.e., in 2070), Mississauga could end up with its own top-tier professional sports teams separate from Toronto's.
If Mississauga gets a CPL team in the next few years, that would technically fulfill "top-tier professional sports team" criteria much quicker than you would think! Though probably not the top-tier sports team that people were probably considering.

Changing topics to that for a moment, isn't the prospective stadium location for a Mississauga CPL team supposed to be somewhere in MCC? I don't recall there being talk of a specific stadium site yet, and I doubt it will be on something that Oxford owns, but it would probably be best for the planning process of the entire area to figure out a location.

In 2070, the "top tier" pro-sports teams may be e-sports teams.

Forget about 1975, go back to 1995 or even 2005 and you would get the same reaction.

If Mississauga gets a CPL team in the next few years, that would technically fulfill "top-tier professional sports team" criteria much quicker than you would think! Though probably not the top-tier sports team that people were probably considering.

Changing topics to that for a moment, isn't the prospective stadium location for a Mississauga CPL team supposed to be somewhere in MCC? I don't recall there being talk of a specific stadium site yet, and I doubt it will be on something that Oxford owns, but it would probably be best for the planning process of the entire area to figure out a location.

I'm pretty sure there's a report due soon about a CPL stadium in MCC. I would assume they would want it located somewhere along the HuLRT, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it at Hurontario and Eglinton or near Cooksville GO. I know those areas aren't technically MCC but they will be roped in with it soon enough anyway.

My personal ideal site for a stadium would have been in one of the blocks along the 403 that are now slated for offices.

I'm pretty sure there's a report due soon about a CPL stadium in MCC. I would assume they would want it located somewhere along the HuLRT, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it at Hurontario and Eglinton or near Cooksville GO. I know those areas aren't technically MCC but they will be roped in with it soon enough anyway.

My personal ideal site for a stadium would have been in one of the blocks along the 403 that are now slated for offices.

I would suppose somewhere closer to Britannia. The NIMBYs are not going to want a stadium in any residential area.

Back