Mississauga Square One District | ?m | 65s | Oxford Properties | Hariri Pontarini

Edward Skira

http://skyrisecities.com
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Press conference tomorrow. Canada's largest mixed-use project!

Downtown Mississauga to Undergo Massive Mixed-Use Development

Construction at Square One Shopping Centre and surrounding area to break ground this fall

MISSISSAUGA, Ontario – Monday, January 20
– The land surrounding Square One Shopping Centre will become the heart of an invigorated downtown Mississauga community with the announcement of the largest mixed-use development in Canadian history. The area will be transformed into a vibrant and walkable community, including residential and office buildings, a transit hub connected to the Hurontario LRT, community buildings, parks and green space. The development is set to redefine downtown Mississauga for generations to come.

A media conference will be held to share full details about the development. There will be 1:1 media interviews available following the announcement.

WHO
  • Eric Plesman, Executive Vice President and Head of North America, Oxford Properties
  • The Honourable Prabmeet Singh Sarkaria (Brampton South)
  • Her Worship Bonnie Crombie, Mayor of City of Mississauga
  • Niall Haggart, Executive Vice President, The Daniels Corporation
WHATMedia conference detailing Canada’s largest mixed-use development

If ground breaking is set for this fall, and Daniels is part of the press conference, maybe they mean an overall vision, and the first phase of Oxford's plan is the property at Living Arts & Rathburn. Just speculation.

If ground breaking is set for this fall, and Daniels is part of the press conference, maybe they mean an overall vision, and the first phase of Oxford's plan is the property at Living Arts & Rathburn. Just speculation.

It also mentions a 'transit hub', but Mississauga has announced renovations to the existing CCTT. I hope this gets put on hold and we are actually getting something substantial.

It also mentions a 'transit hub', but Mississauga has announced renovations to the existing CCTT. I hope this gets put on hold and we are actually getting something substantial.

I hope so. The franken-terminal really needs to be demolished and a do-over is in order.

This will be huge. 18,000 residential units.

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at Tuesday Jan 21, 2020 11.57.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at Tuesday Jan 21, 2020 11.56.52 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at Tuesday Jan 21, 2020 11.56.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at Tuesday Jan 21, 2020 11.56.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at Tuesday Jan 21, 2020 11.56.14 AM.png

Really impressive. But what immediately comes to mind is whether all this can be realized without the employment to support 35,000 residences?

I am sure they'll be building office buildings too, but will the premium office space and premium tenants move to Mississauga when downtown Toronto is an option to them?

Really impressive. But what immediately comes to mind is whether all this can be realized without the employment to support 35,000 residences?

I am sure they'll be building office buildings too, but will the premium office space and premium tenants move to Mississauga when downtown Toronto is an option to them?

Press release says the first office building goes to market this spring.

If I were Mississauga, I would be asking for 3 key things here.

1. Funding for completing the LRT loop
2. Some form of affordable housing provision. Mississauga condos and rental rates are still relatively affordable so this isn't as pressing of an issue as in Toronto, but still an issue nonetheless.
3. Employment uses, which they seem to be generally covering already.

Those office buildings appear to be about 20 floors too, which would make them the tallest office buildings in the 905, depending if they get built before SmartCentre's new office block in the VMC.

For those of us who cannot read The Star article:

Colour me skeptical as all the residential buildings thus far have failed to create anything close to a pleasant "walkable" and vibrant "downtown", despite the promises. And with most of the in-demand retail still left in the mall, more nail salons, banks and Subways, will probably not provide a reason to linger.

BUT...it beats parking lots. And there is nothing wrong with a concerted effort to create something better. Fingers crossed.

Back