Toronto SQ2 at Alexandra Park | 50.9m | 14s | Tridel | Teeple Architects

I think it's actually preferable that way- the neighbourhood won't be a monoculture. and any remaining properties will naturally refurbish/densify themselves when the time is right.

I don't think one quasi-row house would make a huge difference either way in any case.

AoD

There are one or two more buildings scattered around the edges of the site.

Regardless of how much of an overall impact it might make- in the masterplan, you can see how the residual chunks of private property split up the townhouse rows into shorter, less monolithic rows. Same goes with the remaining portions of the current co-op housing.

Anything to create a finer urban grain and blend the edges of the site into the rest of the city is a great thing in my opinion.

View from the SQ rooftop patio. (Facing West)
IMG_8971.JPG

SQ2 Construction Update:
IMG_8974.PNG
IMG_8975.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_8971.JPG
    IMG_8971.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 694
  • IMG_8974.PNG
    IMG_8974.PNG
    693.8 KB · Views: 659
  • IMG_8975.PNG
    IMG_8975.PNG
    433.6 KB · Views: 655
Yesterday:

DSC05786.jpg
DSC05787.jpg
DSC05788.jpg
DSC05789.jpg

Attachments

• DSC05786.jpg
    DSC05786.jpg
    468.6 KB · Views: 656
  • DSC05787.jpg
    DSC05787.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 659
  • DSC05788.jpg
    DSC05788.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 643
  • DSC05789.jpg
    DSC05789.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 678
I never understood why TCHC builds townhouses. Land in centre is scarce and low rise/density is basically luxury. Legacy habits I guess...

Because the city is not ready for high-rise only? Not everyone wants every square inch to be covered by 40-storey towers. They're still achieving quite a bit higher densities than were there before.

Because the city is not ready for high-rise only? Not everyone wants every square inch to be covered by 40-storey towers. They're still achieving quite a bit higher densities than were there before.

I was expecting this but come on. Who said 40 story towers? There are no integers between 3 and 40?

Not everyone wants all low-rise gone. Off of the main drags, it's not City policy to throw tall towers up into the air. If you want that, start showing up at public consultations and argue for it.

My point is everyone in the city complains about how public housing is deficient and how wait lists are miles long, and that the city fails lower income families. Yet only marginally increasing the TCHC stock when there's an opportunity contradicts this. I don't see any point in building townhouses instead of building 7-8-storey mid-rises and housing three times as many people. (Again... not 40 storeys)

SFH density for public housing may have been cutting it in the 40s and 50s but they won't now.

https://www.tridel.com/blog/ground-floor-concrete-pour-started-sq2/

January 2018 Construction Update

The concrete pour for the SQ2 community is moving along well with the completion of the P3 and P2 parking levels. The P1 suspended concrete floor is 80% complete, walls and columns to the ground floor are in progress, and the pour of the ground floor has started.

The Design Team has completed over half of the design appointments for the community, currently meeting with homeowners who purchased penthouse suites.

Back