Toronto SQ Spadina Queen Condos at Alexandra Park | 43.89m | 14s | Tridel | Teeple Architects

I'm probably one of the few that really loves the Hyatt down on King, but this cladding reminds me of what's on that building. So, I kind of like it.

Ugh, I wish Tridel would just stop building stuff.

They won't. But, it's also funny that you say that for this building, because this is one of their least conservative and has architectural merit.

I agree that Tridel can have rather bland and conservative designs, but if you have ever bought from them you will know that you are dealing with a company that has it's stuff together down to a science -- they are always well-built projects, they provide outstanding customer service, and they manage their own buildings; things lacking from many other (newer) developers in town.

My wish is that Tridel builds more of what is shown here.

The design here is good, amazing actually, but I don't like the way they use spandrel, it looks so cheap (probably nothing to do with cost, but it doesn't look... elegant). I've seen promising designs by Tridel that end up looking horrible in real life. That's what I fear will happen with this.

That's the thing with Tridel, their projects always look good in the renderings but then when they build it, they change the colour (always to grey) and the details, so the finished product is always a disappointment. You cannot trust Tridel's renderings and pretty pictures.

I still don't see the spandrel in the renderings. And they don't look grey at all. It looks like white metal panels.

Oct 6th

On-site hoarding:

IMG_6711.jpg

White panels shown in rendering with some (possible) lime green accent walls:

IMG_6712.jpg

Off-site Tridel Store on Queen St (as noted above):

IMG_6714.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6711.jpg
    IMG_6711.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,376
  • IMG_6712.jpg
    IMG_6712.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,364
  • IMG_6714.jpg
    IMG_6714.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,298
Cool 3 minute video posted last month
[video=youtube_share;MSz_-lc5x-g]http://youtu.be/MSz_-lc5x-g[/video]

The scenes of Toronto would make for a good Toronto-themed music video or tourism video. The facade of the building could use more accentuation. The projecting boxes with balconies, for instance would look good in black against the mostly white facade.

Those are great numbers considering that it's a redevelopment area, it's winter, and the price points a tad steep. But it is the west end after all.

I really like this project because of the cool design and because it's run by a superior company than 90% of developers. This is the direction that Tridel should continue with and break away from conservative buildings while maintaining their commitment to high quality and great customer service. (High-design goes out the window if you don't have proper electrical in your washroom for over a month!)

Phase 2 should be hot :p and perhaps launched later this year.

Back