Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

And the contract could have easily been a single contract with staggered opening. Of course it would have cost a bit more, but maybe it would have allowed the contractor to concentrate on the first 3 or 4 stations instead of all at once.
What do you mean "the contractor"?

Each station is built by a different contractor, and was tendered separately.

And who is going to pay for the extra costs?

There was no magical solution to get this open in time. They might have had a chance if the original schedule had held, and they'd temporarily opened a couple of stations during the games. But that went out the window after the Ministry of Labour shut down the construction site for months after one construction companies got a worker killed.

...a single contract with staggered opening....

Construction Law doesn't work that way. I cannot imagine how one contract could have multiple commissionings, substantial completions, changeovers, and sign-offs.

nfitz: The topic of discussion here is not on individual station contracts but rather a contract to lay the track. There are of course dozens of contracts involved in this complex project.

Construction Law doesn't work that way. I cannot imagine how one contract could have multiple commissionings, substantial completions, changeovers, and sign-offs.

nfitz: The topic of discussion here is not on individual station contracts but rather a contract to lay the track. There are of course dozens of contracts involved in this complex project.

If other cities can make it happen, there is no reason why it cannot happen here. The only factor is the cost, as has been mentioned.

If other cities can make it happen, there is no reason why it cannot happen here. The only factor is the cost, as has been mentioned.

Of course it can happen here. It has already - the University and Bloor-Danforth lines were all staged in such a way that the line was to open piecemeal outwards from Union Station. Or how about the North Yonge extensions in 1973 and 1974.

You have to design it from the outset to do that though, and seeing as how they didn't for the Spadina Line extension, there is no way to go back and do that now.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

There seems to be a predisposition to opening all at once in current thinking (see Eglinton LRT) which may be in part driven by signalling commissioning considerations, but added to that may have been suspicion that if Steeles West opened first the opening on the section beyond that would have occurred at an overly leisurely pace.

How well used do you think this extension will be?

York U should definitely be used well I'd think.

Downsview Park is actually a bit of a walk from many of the facilities. I mainly see people driving their kids to sports games there.

Finch & Steeles have pretty busy bus routes feeding into them right?

Highway 7: ?

Vaughn: ?

How well used do you think this extension will be?

York U should definitely be used well I'd think.

Downsview Park is actually a bit of a walk from many of the facilities. I mainly see people driving their kids to sports games there.

Downsview Park is useful mostly because this is where GO Transit will connect. It will also be useful for special events and the popular flea market. But it will be one of the least-used, giving Bessarion a run for its money.

Finch & Steeles have pretty busy bus routes feeding into them right?

Yes. Some YRT routes will terminate or serve Steeles West. Finch West will have the busy 36 bus and proposed LRT.

Highway 7: ?
Highway 407 will be the point at which GO's 407 buses (and perhaps buses from Bolton/Woodbridge, etc) will stop at and force all those students to transfer one or two stops to York U. It will be a busy station Mondays through Fridays.

Vaughn: ?

As the terminus, and with YRT and Zum services stopping here, it will be busy.

Downsview Park is useful mostly because this is where GO Transit will connect. It will also be useful for special events and the popular flea market. But it will be one of the least-used, giving Bessarion a run for its money.

Yes. Some YRT routes will terminate or serve Steeles West. Finch West will have the busy 36 bus and proposed LRT.

Highway 407 will be the point at which GO's 407 buses (and perhaps buses from Bolton/Woodbridge, etc) will stop at and force all those students to transfer one or two stops to York U. It will be a busy station Mondays through Fridays.

As the terminus, and with YRT and Zum services stopping here, it will be busy.

Part of the question is one of TIME.
407 will be mostly a transfer point and save some people from driving all the way down to Downsview but it won't come into its own until the Transitway opens.

VMC will probably start slow-ish but pick up quickly. The first big tower is going in there and everyone else is waiting on the subway. I should get a shot of that tower - you can see it for miles around because of how tall and isolated it is.

Downsview Park, I'm not sure about. Part of that depends on when the development there actually kicks in but, yeah, it's hemmed in so the potential there is limited.

Going to Steeles makes sense due to the bus routes. Highway 7 might make sense too because of the YRT bus routes. Vaughn seems the most questionable.

Highway 407 will be the point at which GO's 407 buses (and perhaps buses from Bolton/Woodbridge, etc) ...

Buses from Woodbridge hardly warrant a mention in that context. It's not as if it's some distant town. It's basically part of the neighborhood.

There will be a ton of connecting bus routes at Vaughan though.. mind you most of them are pretty low ridership.

This line seems mostly justified anyways, one station too far isn't the end of the world (if it is too far).

At least we'll be able to check out the first new rapid transit stations since Sheppard, what, 15 years ago, in a few years.

Going to Steeles makes sense due to the bus routes. Highway 7 might make sense too because of the YRT bus routes. Vaughn seems the most questionable.

Hey, I commend Vaughan for at least making an effort to build a core around a subway station.

The Highway 7 Rapidway is also going to be very important through that area, so connecting to it is a big plus. The regional transit map would look a little weird if the subway ended at Steeles and there was a rapid transit line just 2km to the north running perpendicular to it. It would be like ending the Yonge extension at Centre St.

Just thinking aloud here but do you think that the Vaughan station could be the eventual final terminus of the University-Spadina-Vaughan segment of the line?

I don't think anything north of Vaughan station warrants an extension of the line regardless of how much Vaughan intensifies in the core. If there is a demand for it to be extended, wouldn't a much cheaper connecting LRT route from the north ran and operated by York region be much more appropriate instead?

Just thinking aloud here but do you think that the Vaughan station could be the eventual final terminus of the University-Spadina-Vaughan segment of the line?

I don't think anything north of Vaughan station warrants an extension of the line regardless of how much Vaughan intensifies in the core. If there is a demand for it to be extended, wouldn't a much cheaper connecting LRT route from the north ran and operated by York region be much more appropriate instead?

Nothing's firm but Vaughan has thought aloud about extending it to Wonderland, if not Vaughan Mills.

Back