Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

There you have it, ladies and gentlemen.

The 407 station will be either the least used, most used, or somewhere in between!

With just six stations on the extension, I like those odds!

A zombie apocalypse would result in a huge spike due to the cemetery across the street but the timeframe of a zombie invasion is difficult to model.

Even a modestly-sized office complex with a retail concourse and perhaps a few condos on the station/parking lot would generate many trips. But this station, like Sheppard West/Downsview and some or most of the others, will be more of a 'celebration of infrastructure' with ridiculously huge stations, vastly oversized entrance huts (and overdesigned to the point that they're un-redevelopable), extensive parking/cycling/drop-off facilities, maintenance/hydro structures, all knitted together with linear parkettes, public art, bioswales, nice wide sidewalks, etc., etc. Offices and condos won't be able to get anywhere near the actual subway platform and so transit-oriented development will be forced to be oriented towards nearby transit-related infrastructure and not actual transit vehicles.

There you have it, ladies and gentlemen.

The 407 station will be either the least used, most used, or somewhere in between!

I meant middle of the pack out of all TTC stations. It will not be used more than King but it will be higher than Rosedale after the transitway has been running for a 3 or 4 years.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar enough with the transitway project to say for sure, but 9000 per hour sounds quite high. Is every 30 second service what is proposed for it's launch?

It's still unfunded AFAIK and there is is no timeline that I am aware of; but the 10k/hour is the initial target design capacity. They will obviously start with less service and ramp up as necessary.

Since it is GO, I also expect it will be heavily rush-hour oriented. Anyway, I personally expect it to be extremely popular when it launches (perhaps 2020?).

Maybe. Once the 407 transitway is built out I can see that station being middle of the pack (40,000 users per day) without too much difficulty.

A double-decker feeder bus every 30 seconds (~9000 passengers per hour) and extremely busy as a kiss & ride (several hundred passengers per hour).

Certainly the fewest walkins.

Yep, just lots of forced transfers from GO buses that used to directly serve York U.

My bet is that York U station is the busiest on the extension. Students generally have a much higher transit modal split than most other demographic groups, and York U has a pretty massive student population.

But what's great about York U station though is that the flow into and out of it will be very much a counter-flow. Outbound towards York U in the AM, and southbound in the PM. This will be very different than all other stations on the extension, which will be very southbound AM, northbound PM driven.

York U is what is going to drive a good counter-flow on the Spadina line, ensuring that trains headed both directions will be reasonably full. If it weren't for York U, northbound AM trains on the Spadina extension might as well be deadheading up to Vaughan, because that's about how many riders they'd have on them.

My bet is that York U station is the busiest on the extension. Students generally have a much higher transit modal split than most other demographic groups, and York U has a pretty massive student population.

But what's great about York U station though is that the flow into and out of it will be very much a counter-flow. Outbound towards York U in the AM, and southbound in the PM. This will be very different than all other stations on the extension, which will be very southbound AM, northbound PM driven.

York U is what is going to drive a good counter-flow on the Spadina line, ensuring that trains headed both directions will be reasonably full. If it weren't for York U, northbound AM trains on the Spadina extension might as well be deadheading up to Vaughan, because that's about how many riders they'd have on them.

York U was my guess too.

Out of curiosity, since in Waterloo our student ID cards double as bus passes, do York and UofT students get anything similar with TTC?

The_Architect: No, they don't. Honestly, considering that UT, Ryerson, York, OCADU, etc students are coming from the entire GTA, a mandatory UPASS for them would have to include all GTA systems, would be exorbitantly expensive, and be infeasible.

A lot of those students will be coming from GO/YRT buses to the north, though, and since York U station has such comically limited access to the surrounding campus (just a single entrance in the middle of the Commons) there could be some people using Steeles West instead and maybe even Finch West if the campus expands a bit more as plans say it might.

Finch West will grab a huge share of the Finch bus' riders and should see 20K+ per day. Maybe 25K given a bit more development. Hwy 7 will mostly depend on how much actually gets built within walking distance of the station but if it can do 30-40K it'd be on par with other terminus stations.

Actually, every single station on the Spadina line from Lawrence West up to Hwy 7 is slated to see some serious redevelopment/infill nearby. Some stations are seeing mostly condos. However, if a few stations along the line get small office complexes, with a retail concourse and a medical/professional component, with a Loblaws or Dominion or Sobeys and a Shoppers Drug Mart and an Extreme Fitness and whatever else, plus a handful of condos, then ridership from random point to point will go way up just like on the Yonge line. And that's just what private development can build with a cookie cutter. There's opportunities to generate riders and travel patterns that add to the line's total ridership but don't drown the University line downstream with people. Now the plans just need to materialize...

But yeah, the number of people going north of York U in the AM is going to be small, just like the number of people riding the final stretches of every transit line in a non-peak time is going to be minimal.

Wrong... at least for the TTC

http://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Fare_information/Seniors_students_and_children/Post_Secondary_Students.jsp

Post secondary students get a $22 discount on their monthly pass

That's not a UPASS in the sense of other Ontario universities though and in the context of The_Architect's understanding. At UW and WLU, for both undergrads and grads, the UPASS is mandatory, because it's flash the student card and go. Pay $70 with tuition and you have it for four months, but you can't opt out.

What you've pointed out is NOT a UPASS. The TTC pass is opt-in.

That's not a UPASS in the sense of other Ontario universities though and in the context of The_Architect's understanding. At UW and WLU, for both undergrads and grads, the UPASS is mandatory, because it's flash the student card and go. Pay $70 with tuition and you have it for four months, but you can't opt out.

What you've pointed out is NOT a UPASS. The TTC pass is opt-in.

I agree with your initial comment that it would be expensive to coordinate such a system across GTA transit but the discounted Metropass is similar to the UPASS - a post-secondary student only pass, unlimited travel, discounted fee.

Back