Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

That's a nice lineup. However, I'm hoping for something better than a Bilbao Metro tube station and a couple of "Fosteritos" from whatever Foster designs.

bilbao.jpg

img_3067.jpg

Wow. That's pretty amazing. At least the TTC's hideously overpriced subway stations will look good. I guess Adam Giambrone has decided that if they're going to force Toronto to build a subway, he'll spend as much of the province's money as he can. I'll bet he's trying to make the York subway the most expensive per mile in the world.

Hell, I'd take an old-fashioned TTC tile station at Sheppard West in exchange for getting one of those teams to redesign the Union subway station.

Hell, I'd take an old-fashioned TTC tile station at Sheppard West in exchange for getting one of those teams to redesign the Union subway station.

a proper elevator from the subway to the trains would be nice. that lift thingy is not very user friendly.

I am very pleased to hear that the new subway stations will be designed by famous architects. I just hope that cuts aren’t made in the future to the final designs or construction if the funds dry up with another government. I second what Junctionist said regarding future downtown projects – the ones the world will see, not just students and commuters.

I'm pleased to hear about the architects. I really wish, though, someone would rename "Highway 7" before the subway goes there. I don't want to live in a city where the subway runs to a highway with no city street name.

Though if there's any regret, it's in not opting for "homegrown" (a la Erickson on the '78 Spadina line)

I'm pleased to hear about the architects. I really wish, though, someone would rename "Highway 7" before the subway goes there. I don't want to live in a city where the subway runs to a highway with no city street name.

There's a movement to rename Highway 7 with the equally boring "Avenue 7."
York Region is having public meetings about it in the fall.

Still, that final station is going to be called 407 Transitway or something like that, I suspect.

Spadina Subway Extension Updates

Avenue 7 and street naming discussion redirected to here - Street Naming Thread

I thought the final stop was "Vaughan Centre" - as if you're in the centre of it all! I'd prefer that over "Vaughan Corporate Centre" at least.

Yeah, Avenue 7? That'd be great in Markham. Half-way between 14th Avenue and 16th Avenue.

There would be precedent, of course, the 14th Sideroad and the 16th Sideroad, Highway 7 would have been the 15th sideroad. Instead of naming the old sideroads, like they did the lines (just extensions of the Toronto names), they just called them Avenues.

Alsop's station can't be raised on stilts since the city insisted on tunnelling the entire extension through empty land...a pity!

Use last names only. Easier to say and follows traditional naming convention.

In these crazy modern times, where wikipedia and other forces conspire to expel all historical knowledge from human memory, perhaps it's best - from an educating the doltish masses point of view - to include the full names...and, in Banting's case, to go all out and rename the road Frederick Banting The Insulin Guy Avenue, so that younguns can learn while driving to the theatre to see Saw V.

Diamond and Schmitt already ruined one, they're not on the list either.

Though unimaginative is right - I'd like to see a proper architectural redesign of a station first ruined in the 1980s - Union would have made a great choice.

To give you an idea of how outrageously overpriced the TTC's stations are, Berlin is studying a new underground S-Bahn line. An underground station is being debated, and it will be designed to handle S-Bahn trains that are significantly longer than TTC subway trains. It will also be built in challenging geology next to a river. The projected cost? 13 million Euros. The TTC is spending over $100 million per station, which has got to be some kind of record.

Back