Toronto Southcore Financial Centre & Delta Toronto | 159.71m | 45s | GWL | KPMB

CP started with a large empty piece of land, essentially started with a blank slate. And I'm unsure whether it was zoned for office. Southcore already had ACC, Skydome, RHP, MTCC. I think it would be much easier to attract retail/restaurants to that area than to a brand new development. It is an unfair comparison.

It's all about location.
CP is largely west of Spadina. You don't even have significant office space that for west north of Front Street - so why would it have been viable at CP?
Southcore is, as the name implies, closer to and part of the core.

I spotted today a shoring machine sitting near the garden of metro Toronto convention centre, the opposite side of Delta Hotel.
any idea what that shoring machine is doing there ? are they digging path connection between Delta Hotel and MTCC ?

How much better would it have been if the Telus builing was 2.5x as tall and the PwC building was a public square? What a wasted opportunity.

Today:

IyALHiW.jpg

And the square/park could meet up with the decked-over Oxford complex greenery - would be a great place for a stroll to enjoy the skyline (with space to view it!)

How much better would it have been if the Telus builing was 2.5x as tall and the PwC building was a public square? What a wasted opportunity.

Sorry but I don't follow, why is not having the pwc location as a public square a wasted opportunity?
There's a fairly sizable public space at Roundhouse Park that's practically kitty-korner from the building.

A taller Telus building would have been cool though.

Walking up from Harbour Square last weekend it's amazing how much taller this looks in person. At night it almost looks like a part of the financial district on the other side of the tracks.

Taken today. December 15, 2013.

View attachment 21000

Great photos.

Four excellent highrises in this one photo illustrate that where there is a will and some imagination, it's not that hard to design and build terrific tall glass buildings. Of course there are many other good examples in Toronto, but sadly far too many bad examples.

Back