Barrie Sophia McDonald Residences | 72.73m | 21s | Black Creek | Studio JCI

Undead

Member Bio
Reaction score
Dev app:

"The intent and purpose of the Zoning By-law Amendment is to permit the development of a 21-storey mixed-use building containing 253 residential units, ground floor commercial space and underground parking."

Renders from the app docs:

Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG
Capture4.JPG
Capture5.JPG

View of the site in its current state:

Capture.JPG

You don't do anything small.............

Undead: I feel like posting about development in Barrie today............

Everyone else:.........there's 22 new developments in Barrie? LOL

You don't do anything small.............

Undead: I feel like posting about development in Barrie today............

Everyone else:.........there's 22 new developments in Barrie? LOL
Yeah, pretty soon this site will be called Urban Barrie and I'll be lording it over you all.

So many empty sites in downtown Barrie. I'm always stunned/angry about it when I pass through.
Barrie's core is drastically undersized for a city of its size - it's good to see that changing.

There is a huge apartment shortage in the city right now as, well, there are basically no apartments in the city, thus the proposal boom. IIRC Barrie has higher rents than Toronto right now.

So many empty sites in downtown Barrie. I'm always stunned/angry about it when I pass through.

Yet one of the large developments there leveled (or will level) a lovely heritage block. That really irked me, as it's not as if there weren't ample other places for towers.

Last edited:
Yet one of the large developments there leveled (or will level) a lovely heritage block. That really irked me, as it's not as if there weren't ample other places for towers.
You cannot stop one landowner from developing their property just because other owners aren't developing theirs… so why spend the energy getting irked?

You cannot stop one landowner from developing their property just because other owners aren't developing theirs… so why spend the energy getting irked?

I'm not wound up about it, LOL, merely displeased.

The heritage block should have been designated and protected fully and off limits to development, many years ago, if not decades.

The developer in question would have then sought out a different site etc.

My lament is that Councils, Heritage advocates, and Planners are too reactive, and insufficiently bold and ambitious; while at the same time (some) developers
show a callous indifference to preservation of history, much as many do good architecture.

While there is no point in agonizing over that endlessly, if one isn't moderately upset, their is no motivation to try and change it.

Back