Toronto Social at Church + Dundas | 164.89m | 52s | Pemberton | RAW Design

P1080205.JPG
P1080204.JPG

im a fan of gentrification and cleansing of rotting uncared-for storefronts , .. if u can find a developer or an owner of retail that is willing to give square-footage away , let me know , ...im a life long fan of bohemia , but its not 1972 , 1982 , 1993 or 2000 anymore

Shacks or not shacks they have history and it's always poignant to see history erased. I do hope the new edifice adds life and light to this corner.

They're upset that the dumpy 1 and 2 storey buildings got demolished because of their "history".

No, that's unfair. I think some forum members are wary of small-grained retail (no matter how run down) being replaced with large-block condo developments that, to date, have rarely, if ever, replaced that retail in a way that contributes to street life. Whether that's a valid concern in this case, I don't know, but the podium is hardly breaking the mould.

Also, I think the concern is a reaction to some of the pejorative comments in this thread about "heroin-snorting" and "primitive buildings" that shows contempt for people who live in the neighbourhood and business owners who will be affected. We can appreciate development without using words like "filth" to describe what came before.

IMHO.

A podium befitting of Mississauga, Scarborough, Vaughan, etc. city centres and the crowd rejoices. That is more disconcerting than the neglected buildings flushed away. There were salvageable buildings among the "filth" that would have given this condo tower's base identity.

Back