Toronto Social at Church + Dundas | 164.89m | 52s | Pemberton | RAW Design

November 16, 2022:

IMG_6347.jpeg
IMG_6348.jpeg
IMG_6349.jpeg

I loathe the building, but - fantastic photos! Thanks!
Given that the angled edges of the balconies look pretty good from street level, it's too bad they went with exterior balconies at all on this one (esp. transparent ones). The bones of the structure aren't the problem so much as the insipid, brackish awfulness of what's been slapped on it.
If there was only a singular enveloping exterior wall, faceted along the existing floorplate edges to produce a prismatic effect - the whole thing could have been immeasurably improved. (Personally I like to think of it in a warm bronze, like the original Palace Pier tower).
Sigh.

I loathe the building, but - fantastic photos! Thanks!
Given that the angled edges of the balconies look pretty good from street level, it's too bad they went with exterior balconies at all on this one (esp. transparent ones). The bones of the structure aren't the problem so much as the insipid, brackish awfulness of what's been slapped on it.
If there was only a singular enveloping exterior wall, faceted along the existing floorplate edges to produce a prismatic effect - the whole thing could have been immeasurably improved. (Personally I like to think of it in a warm bronze, like the original Palace Pier tower).
Sigh.
This tower may have been saved if the balcony glass was far more opaque. Where all the raw ugliness of its spandrel tucked mercifully away behind those angular balcony dynamics. Instead it's now mostly laid to bare in all its trash glory from most angles save standing next to the building...

...I mean, there's thing to faking it while making it. As I doubt it would cost the devs any more in their value engineering of this project if they made the cheap balcony glass just not transparent. /sigh

@Northern Light

While I appreciate your adherence to the recently established 10 block photo "exclusionary zone" bylaw around this project, I should have mentioned (in the fine print) that zooms are also banned.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Back