Toronto Social at Church + Dundas | 164.89m | 52s | Pemberton | RAW Design

this thing is just horrifying...

FZuIwPXXgAIpldU.jpeg

LINK

A 1.....err....2 pic update..........sorta good news/bad news/bad news kinda post, LOL

Photos taken August 9th, 2022:

The Good news, if you're showing friends from out of town around, and happen to exit the Eaton Centre at Dundas, this monstrosity is blocked from view. (for another month or so, maybe)

The bad news..........what's blocking it:

DSC09097.JPG

The bad news, it's clear as day from the corner of Yonge/Dundas:

DSC09098.JPG

But let's finish on a positive note.

Between the project at 252 Church; and the ModernTO/TMU project at Victoria/Dundas; there's a good chance this thing will end up almost entirely obstructed from view for people walking on Yonge!

Last edited:
A 1.....err....2 pic update..........sorta good news/bad news/bad news kinda post, LOL

Photos taken August 9th, 2022:

The Good news, if you're showing friends from out of town around, happen to exit the Eaton Centre at Dundas, this monstrosity is blocked from view. (for another month or so, maybe)

The bad news..........what's blocking it:

View attachment 419487

The bad news, it's clear as day from the corner of Yonge/Dundas:

View attachment 419489

Between the project at 252 Church; and the ModernTO/TMU project at Victoria/Dundas; there's a good chance this thing will end up almost entirely obstructed from view for people walking on Yonge!
After seeing that last photo I honestly think this is the worst project in the city.

After seeing that last photo I honestly think this is the worst project in the city.

Of size; I think that needs to be said........there are a slew of abysmal projects that are small.........but I can't think of one over 12s I dislike so viscerally as this one.

But here's a short (3s) one that I haven't yet found a place for, from my walk...........this is ..........(nope, I'm not allowed to say that here).....

DSC09096.JPG

How could anyone do this on purpose?

What's so frustrating about this project is that the shape of the tower with its undulating balconies is promising enough, but the execution is beyond horrible - those dishwater grey spandrels and the bargain-basement clear balcony glazing (shivers!). It's like "let's turn a mildly interesting tower into a total junk"

I think the almost universal disgust with Aunty 👵 Social is well-earned and also an unprecedented forum flashpoint 🔥...who knew that UTers could (almost) all rally together in agreement.

As @Northern Light touched on, I posted somewhere a few weeks ago ("CentreCourt to the rescue!") regarding the importance of 242 Church (blocking views of Aunty from the west) and 199 Church (partial blocking of views of Aunty from the south).

I now find myself in rather conflicted situation though... I'm actually rooting for a Turner Fleischer building... 241 Church which will block views of Aunty from the north. Though a bit farther afield (to the east), the cluster of Pace, Grid etc. will help mitigate views of Aunty from the east.

So one day... if you stay clear of this intersection, this architectural parasite should not inflict much harm on your daily routine.
Aunty-Social.png

Google Earth

I think the almost universal disgust with Aunty 👵 Social is well-earned and also an unprecedented forum flashpoint 🔥...who knew that UTers could (almost) all rally together in agreement.

As @Northern Light touched on, I posted somewhere a few weeks ago ("CentreCourt to the rescue!") regarding the importance of 242 Church (blocking views of Aunty from the west) and 199 Church (partial blocking of views of Aunty from the south).

I now find myself in rather conflicted situation though... I'm actually rooting for a Turner Fleischer building... 241 Church which will block views of Aunty from the north. Though a bit farther afield (to the east), the cluster of Pace, Grid etc. will help mitigate views of Aunty from the east.

So one day... if you stay clear of this intersection, this architectural parasite should not inflict much harm on your daily routine.
View attachment 419548
Google Earth
All the more reason to reinstate the old, taller version of the TMU (Ryerson) development slated for that parking lot @ Jarvis and Dundas - to block the view of "Aunty" from the northeast!

All the more reason to reinstate the old, taller version of the TMU (Ryerson) development slated for that parking lot @ Jarvis and Dundas - to block the view of "Aunty" from the northeast!
Losing the Henning Larsen-designed TMU tower was a gut punch, (in addition to blocking Aunty from the east) because it's a great design... especially the materials.

Been waiting forever (more than 2 years lol) for WDL Block 20 to move forward... a terrific addition to the Distillery District neighbourhood..

What's it gonna take to get a Henning Larsen tower added to the downtown skyline. I'm all 👂👂.

https://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/west-don-lands-block-20
UT

But here's a short (3s) one that I haven't yet found a place for, from my walk...........this is ..........(nope, I'm not allowed to say that here).....
...where the Scientologists going to set up a new shop?

Nice. I guess they framed the shot to hide the pale blue panels as much as possible. Who says our developers ignore the public?

Back