Toronto Social at Church + Dundas | 164.89m | 52s | Pemberton | RAW Design

Received a Raw Designs up and coming booklet the other day.
Muzzo Group/Pemberton Group for the SE corner of Chruch and Dundas.

After a bit of refinement, it will be great to see this intersection start to change for the better.

Had chatted with the owners of Sabai Sabai this past summer about expansion plans and they apparently have been approached for a lease buyout.

Mods if this already exists somewhere please merge, ty.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,515
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,679
I like the tower and the brick podium. I just don't get why the brick can't just go all the way down to the street. But this does seem like an improvement. Maybe I am just more forgiving today?

high-reflectivity glazing could be interesting... the DRP is totally going to ask for a redesign though. This isn't plain enough.

In reviewing the application I noticed the following:
Proposed Base Setback at Grade:
Dundas Street East 1.5 m
Dalhousie Street 0.0 m
South Property Line 0.0 m
Church Street 0.0 m

I wonder if this mirrors the setback at 137 Dundas St east, which I find great... no setback on Church st is kinda' crappy though. Also, I hope they don't actually plan on planting trees on the sidewalk that's already narrow.

*edit: I meant redesign.

Last edited:
I kind of hate this building. Completely out of scale for its location (I think 20-30 storeys is more suitable) (Yes I'm aware of what's been approved east of it). The design is ... meh. I guess rectangle with weird balconies is what is going to pass for creativity these days.

high-reflectivity glazing could be interesting... the DRP is totally going to ask for a redesign though. This isn't plain enough.

In reviewing the application I noticed the following:
Proposed Base Setback at Grade:
Dundas Street East 1.5 m
Dalhousie Street 0.0 m
South Property Line 0.0 m
Church Street 0.0 m

I wonder if this mirrors the setback at 137 Dundas St east, which I find great... no setback on Church st is kinda' crappy though. Also, I hope they don't actually plan on planting trees on the sidewalk that's already narrow.

*edit: I meant redesign.
all it means is that some building face fronts directly on the property line. If you look at the renders you can see that there is some small sidwalk widening along Church.. the building just overhangs it above.

scale is completely appropriate if you ask me, it just needs to have a bit smaller of a floorplate for the tower if you ask me.

I kind of hate this building. Completely out of scale for its location (I think 20-30 storeys is more suitable) (Yes I'm aware of what's been approved east of it). The design is ... meh. I guess rectangle with weird balconies is what is going to pass for creativity these days.

Leaving height alone, what would you rather see here? What 'passes' for creativity in your books?

It is not really out of scale compared with Pace which is steps away. And a couple of new proposals in the future. Spire down at Adelaide is a similar situation (much taller than everything else nearby) and it doesn't seem that bad at all. Church st will have a lot of tall buildings in th future, by which time this one won't stand out that much.

Am I the only one sick and tired of these multi level podiums utilizing grey brick?

Also, there are way too many balconies. I vote for a redesign.

There are just too many balconies, it's so crazy looking!! The main thing I would want from a redesign is for the sidewalk along Dundas to be just as wide as the building directly to the east of it.

These are the best balconies since One Bloor East.

They ondulate and wave like 1BE. But their sharpness resonates an overwhelming feeling, in a good way. The balconies evoke an emotional response. I think they reflect the evolution of the gritty nature of the neighbourhood.

I like the balconies as well. There is nowhere to allow your eye to rest. Which is a bit unsettling I understand people's concern. But it kinda creates a very static energy. Looks like it would create a lot of visual excitement.

These are the best balconies since One Bloor East.

They ondulate and wave like 1BE. But their sharpness resonates an overwhelming feeling, in a good way. The balconies evoke an emotional response. I think they reflect the evolution of the gritty nature of the neighbourhood.

Now that you mention it I can see that effect when I look more carefully at the rendering.

Back