Toronto Sixty Colborne Condos | 82.29m | 25s | Freed | a—A

Great points except this building is not a hotel or a club district building so I don't think it's fair to classify it as so.

The big difference I see, FREED is targeting investors and relying on them to help sellout this building. CONCERT targeted end-users for Berczy with larger units and will be the more successful build for resale. This building is in high demand and it’s not even at ground level.

But I do agree with you, who wants to live in a building with 87 studio units, most of them which will be turned into rental units? Not me.

I bet FREED is rushing sales to avoid overlapping with 88 Scott, which will be the more successful of the two I think. But who knows.

do you have floorplans for 88 Scott?
what is the composition of studios/1b/2b/etc?

Great points except this building is not a hotel or a club district building so I don't think it's fair to classify it as so.

I say this because if you look at Freeds track record almost all of their buildings have been in the club district. I think they're trying to replicate that success east of yonge. If they instead looked at the demographic in the st lawrence market and built mostly 1 and 2 bedroom units they'd have a building just as successful as Berczy if not more.

A greater variation in materials is needed. Instead of orange glass, why don't they use some other sort of orange material? There are tons of choices.

Well, hopefully it will be very vivid and opaque, unlike the attempts at colour on M5V for example. Perhaps the Post made a mistake, or the materials aren't final. Some sort of glossy orange composite material seems like a good bet at this point. And (correct me if I'm wrong) there are ways to polish/finish copper so that it doesn't oxidize, at least as quickly. I'm thinking of those old copper distillers used in early commercial alcohol production.

The orange glass is pretty obvious here:

sixty-colborne1.jpg

Looks hot!

I say this because if you look at Freeds track record almost all of their buildings have been in the club district. I think they're trying to replicate that success east of yonge. If they instead looked at the demographic in the st lawrence market and built mostly 1 and 2 bedroom units they'd have a building just as successful as Berczy if not more.

There is no "club district," and the neighbourhood west of Spadina was hardly anything like it is now prior to the residential build-up taking place today (and it isn't all clubs). Freed's earlier efforts did include a number of family-size three bedroom units. However, as those units take a longer time to sell, Freed likely wanted to dispense with those in favour of suites he could unload to investors.

Back