Toronto Sixty Colborne Condos | 82.29m | 25s | Freed | a—A

I think it did.
I think it did too: the glass became metal… but this is value engineering with no loss, as far as I can tell: these finials look great. The glass might have looked great too, but if it was unworkable for whatever reason (just the expense, or more, and if just the expense, by how much?), I don't think we are the losers for it. It's fab.

What we're talking about is real 'value engineering' - the art of being able to deliver the project, as envisioned, with little or no aesthetic compromise. What isn't 'value engineering' is what we too-often see. A proposal which wasn't properly costed or was rushed to market too quickly, then had to be scaled back so that it hardly resembles what was originally proposed.

Yes, what is being delivered here certainly wasn't what was originally envisioned - but aA put in a ton of time and effort to finding a solution which doesn't compromise the aesthetic, just alters it.

John Tishman has a good chapter about true value engineering in his autobiography (Building Tall: the Invention of Construction Management).

I am almost disappointed the treatment on the lower portion wasn't carried all the way up the tower. The curtain wall looks fantastic, but it would have been lovely to have these dynamic fins appear a bit higher up in the skyline.

I am almost disappointed the treatment on the lower portion wasn't carried all the way up the tower. The curtain wall looks fantastic, but it would have been lovely to have these dynamic fins appear a bit higher up in the skyline.
The height of the fins blend the podium with the nearby brick buildings. A similar approach was used with the Globe and Mail building, where the rust-brown fins ran the height of the adjacent buildings, softening the otherwise glass exterior and blending the podium into the streetscape.

The precedent I hope this sets is for office buildings. Would be fantastic to have office-quality curtain wall with this sort of effect applied over the mullions / base-level spandrel.

Sort of like what Bloomberg & Foster did in London, though we likely wouldn't get stone.

Bloomberg_LDN_01_Exterior_Hero.jpg

Easily one of my recent favorites.

Love the orange splash. It and the LivMore (on Gerrard? If i am thinking of the right project) I walk by frequently and love the colour on both.

Back